Amedea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amedea

Through the season we see a few cruise ships visit us in Torbay and today we welcomed MS Amedea:

IMG_7135 by ColytonJohn, on Flickr

Amedea was making her final stop at the end of a 138 day world cruise as she is due to arrive back in Hamburg on Thursday.

As Torquay harbour is too small to accommodate the cruise ships that call passengers are ferried ashore in small boats and many, including Amedea, use their lifeboats. I've seen these boats from a distance many times and I must confess I'd assumed from their generous beam they must be catamarans but, as you can see, they have a bow somewhat akin to a landing craft:

IMG_7059-2 by ColytonJohn, on Flickr

Not that that would be a problem as they will just push their way through the water:

IMG_7106 by ColytonJohn, on Flickr

... unless a sea is running and Torbay was a bit lively today (Notice how the rear flap was left open!):

IMG_7109 by ColytonJohn, on Flickr

IMG_7111 by ColytonJohn, on Flickr

IMG_7122 by ColytonJohn, on Flickr

In fact Torbay was so lively that all the local trip boats and ferries (all bigger and more seaworthy than these) stayed within the safety of their harbours.

The passengers on such a long and lavish cruise will comprise almost entirely of elderly, wealthy Germans probably unused to such treatment. I doubt the catering staff will have had much to do at dinner tonight.

Cheers,
    John

Re: Amedea

John

Tom

Comment

interesting set John ....

that little boat gets thrown around a bit! - I wouldn't fancy being on that ... I do like the 4th photo but don't understand why the door would be open they must get soaked
      :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I don't like boats and looking at those hasn't done anything to change my mind!
        Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
          I don't like boats and looking at those hasn't done anything to change my mind!
          Great photographs of the small boat, but Cyberman, your thoughts are at one with mine.

Comment

Thanks folks

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
            ... I do like the 4th photo but don't understand why the door would be open they must get soaked
            I was more concerned that, in such a sea, water would flood in and they were going to get drowned! When boat No. 4 left I was alarmed to see their port aft flap insecure down one side but for it to be missing altogether on No. 3 was foolhardy in the extreme. The only reason for it that springs to my mind is that it was intended to provide an escape route for the vomit!

Cheers,
            John

Comment

Working...
            X