Ships, Moon & Lighthouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ships, Moon & Lighthouse

This is not a great shot. Well, the composition may be OK but it's technically quite poor being grainy and lacking sharpness yet the Facebook group dedicated to ships in Torbay that I posted it to have gone mad for it with well over 700 'reactions', 65 shares and dozens of favourable comments (and counting) so some people can see past the inadequacies that we photographers can't ignore.

It took 44 different shots at a variety of settings before I decided this one (f4 1/8th ISO1600) would have to do. A tripod would have improved matters but, as it was, I had to use the window frame for stability (with stabilisation off).

It is, of course, some of the cruise ships 'resting' in Torbay taken at dawn shortly after the moon had risen with the Berryhead Lighthouse flashing.

These ships are a subject that in my self-imposed isolation I've shot literally hundreds of images of but while a decent record of the times, none have really been interesting enough to share but, as I haven't been on here much lately, thought I'd throw it up to show how forgiving non-photographers can be.

Cruise Ships, moon and lighthouse by John Leah, on Flickr

Cheers,
    John

I like that photo, well done.

I have passed and seen the 5 (I think) ships loads of times at Torbay but never at night time.
    Railway Photography - Steam Train Photos

Comment

I like it John, been down to see them at Labrador Bay (car park) several times - always seemed to be hazy!. Promised myself I would go back at night, but never done so. Think they have moved on now - Yes?
      Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Good to see you back on here John, missed your shots. I also like it, such calmness in these unusual times.

Comment

Thanbks folks

It's good to be back too although I've never really been away - in fact, I haven't been anywhere hence not having anything much to post.

The Labrador car park is a good spot to view the Cunard ships that anchor just off there but the main action is in Torbay which is out of sight around Hopes Nose. As I type this Ship Finder tells me only Queen Mary 2 is in Labrador Bay while Torbay hosts five. The reason these numbers change is that the ships have to return to port for bunkering and resupplying about once per month (depending on company ours either go to Southampton or Portland) and, in between times, they may also head out into international waters to empty their grey water tanks. When an easterly is forecast they may head out into the safety of deeper water as storms stir up the silt which blocks the sea water intake filters and to avoid dragging an anchor (one has been lost already).

They are very impressive at night as they tend to keep all their lights blazing. Sadly, try as I might, I've yet to take a sharp picture of them and my best effort was at ISO12800 so far too much noise. Again, I need to use my tripod.

Many such as I enjoy the sight of these ships we must never forget the reason they're here is the same one that prevents us from going to the pub, eating out, taking holidays or seeing friends or relatives so the sooner they're back cruising the world again the better.

Cheers,
          John

Comment

A very atmospheric image John - good result!
            John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Nice shot John.
              7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Very nice image.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                X