Peak Design Slide camera strap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peak Design Slide camera strap

Ok, I bit the bullet and after looking around I bought one of these, along with some spare attachments. I currently have it installed on my 1DX and used it over the weekend for most of the day. The strap itself is about the width of a car seatbelt and made of the same sort of material with an invisible padding internally where it sits on the shoulder.

I was using it with the 1DX, 100-400L and 1.4 Tele Converter and found it very comfortable, on one side it has a silicon none slip finish added so you can simply flip the strap over and it stayed put on my shoulder not slipping off my shirt. Additionally, when used across the chest and attached to the lower and one side mount on the camera, the camera and lens combination hung comfortably down on my hip or just round by my back. the strap attaches by quick release fasteners that are simple and strong, though could be a bit longer in my opinion, they are also of strong plastic so shouldn't mark the camera body.

They don't say it in the advertising, but the camera attachments can fray over time, so these are made of a triple coloured weave, when the outer goes an inner colour tells you they need replacing, it then has a final warning when the inner shows to tell you it is now unsafe, I have one on each mount point so you can simply move the strap around as desired. Length adjustment is ever so easy by lifting the metal adjuster on the main strap, though a couple of times I did find it trying to fold up on itself going through it, but that was probably down to me.

Not cheap, but it does the job and has had a lot of positive reviews on line, it comes with a bag to hold the spare attachments in etc, I didn't use the mounting plate it comes with as I have plenty of strap attachment points, ohh and I bought the wine / red coloured version..

see advert below for more.

Last edited by TonyT; 18-03-2016, 11:15.
    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Re: Peak Design Slide camera strap

only problem I've found with these sling back type straps is if you use a backpack its a PIA
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

You can use it as a normal neck or shoulder strap too.
      Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Looks very interesting. i don't know how secure the connectors to the camera are as something that easily slips in to connect and slips out to disconnect may not be secure when walking about.
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

When it slips in you have to push it down against a spring plate then when in its location it springs back out to lock it. To unlock it you need to physically push it in, then slide it out and that would also be against the weight of the camera etc too.
          It is possible to do it one handed and makes it easy to swap positions on the camera as the attachments remain on the camera. The first version did have a spring defect but the it was cured early on with replacements and was fine.

The fittings are supposed to support 200lb, this will explain them.

I must admit it was the one concern I had when buying it, but having used it I am confident it will not part.

They also do a kit to modify your existing strap

Got a camera neck strap that you absolutely love? The all-new Anchor Links will make it even better. Anchor Links are quick-connectors that can be placed on the ends of any standard/OEM camera neck strap, giving it super-fast, ultra secure quick-connection capability. Place the low-profile Anchors on the strap loops of your camera, binoculars, or other devices. Features all-new hardware that's been slimmed down for better performance in a smaller package. Shipped with updated V4 Anchors. Choosing between this and our straps? See our comparison guide.
          Last edited by TonyT; 19-03-2016, 19:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
            only problem I've found with these sling back type straps is if you use a backpack its a PIA
            Thought about one of these? http://www.blackrapid.com/products/backpack-strap

It appeals to me but most of the time I'm happy to walk around with my 6D in my hand.
            TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Els View Post
              Thought about one of these? http://www.blackrapid.com/products/backpack-strap

It appeals to me but most of the time I'm happy to walk around with my 6D in my hand.
              I just find it a PIA as you have to take the strap off first, then the backpack - I just use a simple hand strap now as I carry the camera all the time ...just in case a gem quickly pops into view
              :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

i'm actually considering one of these ,there are two already in use in the house so i will try for size later tonight .if o.k i will go for it ,starting to find the black rapid a pita

Comment

I don't use a strap at all but then I don't have bloody great lenses hanging off my 6D. Have toyed with getting one though. I know I'm definitely not interested in using a neck strap.
                  TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

Oh well that's that one out of the window ,way to small for someone of my stature .even fully opened it would have had the camera just under my armpit .just have to try and improve on black Rapid

Comment

Choice of strap seems very personal.

I made a move to Cotton Carrier a while ago. Not cheap but seems perfect solution for me.

I've carried my 5D3/Sigma combo for 2-3 miles with no problem as the weight is distributed over both shoulders. The camera is rotated through 90 degrees to mount/dismount (really easy and quick). Once the camera is on the vest your hands are free and the camera can't fall off.

I also bought a thin waterproof jacket that's a bit big so that in event of rain I can do up over the camera.
                      Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

just ordered the leash kit ,i realised that my new 80d has no fitted carrier as my black rapid is fixed to the lens so something needed with other lenses

Comment

Working...
                        X