• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nathaniel
    replied
    Re: Optech Dual Harness

Originally posted by colin C View Post
    Look mum ......... no hands!

At a steady pace, no need to hold on to anything, but if I need to move a bit quicker, just a steadying hand against each lens is all that is needed.

Colin
    Wot? nowhere to put the Hat? Where does it go?
    Last edited by Nathaniel; 05-10-2012, 14:16.

Leave a comment:

• GlynH
    replied

Well the Op/Tech Dual Harness arrived yesterday and I was flailing around in front of the mirror like an epileptic octopus when my girlfriend came home.

She smiled when she saw me all 'suspendered up'...not because she is into photography but probably because she has read 50 Shades Of Grey! :)

I was disappointed (as was she when I kept talking cameras) to discover that the Quick Disconnects are once again at a distance away from the camera leaving my pet hate of long straps hanging off the body...especially as I had splashed even more cash to buy eight(!) pairs of Uni-Loops to fit on all of my bodies, lenses, cases & even binoculars.

Gonna have to splash the cash on yet more Op/Tech gear...namely two pairs of extension straps so I can replace the existing Dual Harness straps on both sides so as to connect directly with the Uni-loops on the gear.

By the time I have finished I will have enough straps etc. to open my own Bondage chain...excuse the pun!

Apart from that it looks like my plan of having all of my gear quickly swappable between harness, strap & sling is coming together at last although why this couldn't be sorted at source by the manufacturer God only knows!

Just had some texts from Canon Service Centre...the 50mm f/1.4 that I dropped in yesterday afternoon @4pm for autofocus failure has been repaired and both the 300mm f/2.8L & 500mm f/4L that I dropped off at the same time to be serviced (mint 2009 models purchased used in the last few months) have been checked over, cleaned and are ready for collection also!

That was quick...

-=Glyn=-

Leave a comment:

• colin C
    replied

Sorry Colin - couldn't resist posting!
    Look mum ......... no hands!

At a steady pace, no need to hold on to anything, but if I need to move a bit quicker, just a steadying hand against each lens is all that is needed.

Colin

Leave a comment:

• GlynH
    replied

Well I've just ordered the Op/Tech Dual Harness from Amazon via Carmarthen Cameras for £21.99 so shall see how I get on.

Thanks for the heads-up Colin!

As I said in a previous post I have a very nice Op/Tech neckstrap but won't use it because of the long extensions that have to be left on the camera - the short, padded neck part has the system connectors directly on the end of the padded bit.

I absolutely loathe long, dangling straps and so never use the damn things.

Dangerous (and stupid) I know as they are there for a reason but I can't stand them hanging on the body/lens/whatever.

I would prefer a longer neck strap but with shorter connectors such as the Op/Tech Uni-Loop..the problem then being my current neckstrap is so short the camera would end up tucked under my chin!

Mind you I could do with something to hold my chins up and stop my head rolling around when I fall asleep! :)

They do make some XL System Connectors that are in effect an extension strap with their trademark quick-disconnects but as the connectors are the weak link IMHO I would rather not use them instead preferring a proper neckstrap with longer ends!

I have seen the exact strap I need on someone else's camera but for some reason the UK Distributor doesn't import them and doesn't even list them on their UK website.

I'm sure I'll get there in the end but this is the same with all of my purchases...it's all a very good compromise but never perfect for me and I end up redesigning most everything I buy!

Fussy...moi?

Thanks & kind regards,
    -=Glyn=-

Leave a comment:

• mikep
    replied

Originally posted by GlynH View Post
    Would like to see a picture of the 300mm & 500mm strapped up...how on earth do they not knock into you or each other?
    I guess it would look like this...

Colin by mikep_eos, on Flickr

I took the shot in April 2011 at the Hawk Conservancy Trust in Andover, as I thought my wife would be interested in seeing what the other togs were packing!

Sorry Colin - couldn't resist posting!

All the best, Mike.

Leave a comment:

• 2Beers
    replied

Anyone seen this looks quite good bit similar to Black Rapid

Last edited by 2Beers; 24-09-2012, 10:33.

Leave a comment:

• J H Foto
    replied

I have used an Optech single strap for a few months now and I would never use anything else now....

Leave a comment:

• colin C
    replied

Do you use the 500mm handheld or do you carry a monopod/tripod also?
    Handheld. Monopods or tripods slow the shot, because you are manoeuvring around their fixed axis. Much quicker and more responsive to just tuck your elbows into your chest to brace yourself and let your more powerful back muscles swivel to follow the target. It sound far more impressive than it is and those here that know me will confirm that I am of average build.

not sure I would trust that plastic clip to hang a 500mm f/4L on?
    I have tested it to over twice the weight of the 1 series/ 500mm combo without problem. However, I am always cautious when connecting the straps to ensure I feel and hear the "Click" as the straps connects. From then on, I am confident it will handle the weight.

Colin

Leave a comment:

• GlynH
    replied

Originally posted by colin C View Post
    Two semi-pro or pro bodies and a couple of L series lenses, no trouble at all. Walking around with them for 5 hours, no trouble at all. I can be using them with a 500mm f4 and a 300mm f2.8 for up to 8 hours and I don't feel the strain.
    Bloody hell Colin...I thought carrying my 5D and 24-105mm was heavy? I couldn't even do 8 hours carrying nothing but a pair of pants without feeling the strain! :)

Would like to see a picture of the 300mm & 500mm strapped up...how on earth do they not knock into you or each other?

Do you use the 500mm handheld or do you carry a monopod/tripod also?

I like Op/Tech and have an Op/Tech strap with the Quick-release but not sure I would trust that plastic clip to hang a 500mm f/4L on?

I have been looking for a solution that will allow me to leave a couple of short 'loops' on body and lens and have a neckstrap with 'long' ends to connect to lens /body.

My Op/Tech is the other way around...long loops on body/lens and short ends on neckstrap.

I don't like leaving the standard neckstrap permanently connected because it gets in the way much like the long Op/Tech loops do.

I could live with short loops & quick disconnect on body/lens though.

The UK site doesn't show what I am looking for and I have tried a couple of their Distributors to no avail.

I did see a video on the USA website showing what I think might be what I am looking for under their Uni-Loop System Connector and although I have found a nice wrist-strap I have had no luck in finding a suitable neck strap or harness.

Kind regards,
    -=Glyn=-

Leave a comment:

• colin C
    replied

Hello Chris

Your information is correct in that you shouldn't hand that much weight from the camera mount.

Use the tripod foot when using a tripod, or monopod, but there are also strap lugs on each of those lenses. You can connect an ordinary strap to one lens, or use the Optech harness to connect to the strap lugs on both lenses. The strap lugs are positioned such that, even with a heavy 1 series body attached, the lens will hang down.

Colin

Leave a comment:

• Wrinklyrocker
    replied

Hi Colin, have been reading some of your threads and found this one on the Optech Dual Harness,I did read somewhere that it wasn't a good idea to let the weight of a 300 or 500mm lens hang on the camera mount, and that the weight should be taken by the tripod mount, what are your thoughts as you use the harness, it does look a great way of spreading the load.
    Regards.
    Chris.

Leave a comment:

• playwithblood
    replied

Eh, I gotta go with http://www.habbycam.com

Leave a comment:

• colin C
    replied

It's certainly worth a try Trevor.

It may be that my perception of using it with flashguns is too pessimistic, but I don't really know. Flashguns aren't much good in my wildlife set-up.

Colin
    Last edited by colin C; 10-07-2012, 10:37.

Leave a comment:

• Trevoreast
    replied

two 1 series bodies, a 500mm f4 and a 300mm f2.8
    Colin I don't think Optech ever envisaged such a stern test as you're putting them through..LOL

My only concern would be the flashguns, purely because the mounting foot of the flash can be subject to knock damage. No so much on the 580 EXII, because of the metal foot, but certainly earlier models. This is pure supposition, but with the base of the body against your body and the lens pointing down, the flash will be sticking out sideways from you and hence my thoughts of damage. I would certaily keep the flashes on when using them in anger, but I would take them off for walking to the next location.
    With the flashguns I find if you haven't got one on each camera you may as well just carry one.
    There's the settings that may need changing, and in my bitter experience the flashgun is never on the right camera at the right time, on a bad day

You're right the weak point is the foot, I don't think the metal on the 580ex2 solves this, it's just easier to get off and on than the 580ex
    With my 580ex sometimes you go to get into off the camera and it wont budge, without using the superhuman strength people get in a panic. my 580ex is a backup now.

I've been in drunken cramped environments, I've bever broken onr yet, I hope I'm not jinxing myself by saying that. :-)

I carry the 70-200 almost behind me with the flash going across my back, if you saw me from the front you wouldn't know I had it. My current two Optech straps work well apart from the twisting, I find it really emabarrasing spinning cameras to untangle them, makes me feel I a right wally

I might get that optech harness, if I do I'll come back with an update.
    Trev.
    Last edited by Trevoreast; 11-02-2011, 17:36.

Leave a comment:

• colin C
    replied

Two semi-pro or pro bodies and a couple of L series lenses, no trouble at all. Walking around with them for 5 hours, no trouble at all. I can be using them with a 500mm f4 and a 300mm f2.8 for up to 8 hours and I don't feel the strain.

I used to have one over each shoulder and hold onto each strap, in case one slipped off the shoulder. With the harness they are secure, the weight is evenly distributed and I have hands free to open doors, gates etc. Although, I generally have my hands resting on the lens to stop them swinging as I walk.

My only concern would be the flashguns, purely because the mounting foot of the flash can be subject to knock damage. No so much on the 580 EXII, because of the metal foot, but certainly earlier models. This is pure supposition, but with the base of the body against your body and the lens pointing down, the flash will be sticking out sideways from you and hence my thoughts of damage. I would certaily keep the flashes on when using them in anger, but I would take them off for walking to the next location.

I have the Lowqepro street and field vest and street and field belt and plenty of sliplock bags. I might give that a try when I am next out, as with my main kit on the harness, I don't need much else to warrant a bag.

Colin

Leave a comment:

Working...
X