Canon 250D has no X contact or PC connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon 250D has no X contact or PC connection

A number of members of my camera club have bought this camera. It has good performance in all respects except one. There is no way of triggering studio flash as there is neither an X contact of a PC socket. I recently ran a studio day and was unable to include these members as their cameras cannot trigger my my studio flash heads. I looked on the Canon website and found the following response from Canon UK to this complaint.

Hi, whilst the EOS 250D is compatible with Canon Speedlite flash, we can't guarantee compatibility with third party flash systems as it doesn't have the X-Contact you've mentioned. There isn't an adapter we make or are aware of that would provide this functionality. We'd advise checking with the manufacturer of the flash system to discuss if there are any updates or accessories that would provide compatibility and we'll pass on your comments to the product team. Thanks.

This response is ridiculous as studio flash units have been triggered in this way for years and as Canon do not make studio flash heads, they are effectively stopping buyers of this camera from taking part in studio photography. What on earth are Canon thinking of by crippling an otherwise very good camera. I have recommended club members check, before buying Canon cameras, that they have X contact or PC socket.
    Last edited by SpringfieldPhoto; 08-11-2019, 20:33.
    Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

So doesn't this camera use a Canon flash? Can you trigger your flashes with a master controlled flash on camera? - Or is it impossible to use any external flash with the 250D?

Comment

EOS 250D, EOS 4000D, EOS 2000D all suffer from no centre pin on the hotshoe. The two ways I have worked round this are, use a Canon Speedlite on the hot shoe in manual mode at a low power and use a slave cell on the studio lights; alternatively use a Speedlite Transmitter ST-E3-RT (other brands available and work) with a Yongnuo YN-E3-RX receiver as it has a PC sync connector on that will work. I've used this with some Elinchrom studio lights with the EOS 250D.
      I'm a user of all kinds of Canon equipment. I write articles for magazines, teach photographers & make photos
      www.p4pictures.com

Comment

This is missing the point of my original comment. Why move away from what has been an industry standard for 50 years in an attempt to get people to buy Canon only products. The solutions suggested add unnecessary cost. I have the same complaint about Sony and their non standard flash shoe. What next non standard sockets for cable connections. Who knows. I still say bad show Canon.
        Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

Comment

Guess what? Canon have changed tack on cables and sockets which appears to be a method to charge extortionate prices for cable and adapters.Bad show Canon.
          Alan

Comment

Working...
          X