Canon C100 mkii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon C100 mkii

Ok so it's different from what you all do, but hear me out here.............................
    My rig by tigerburnie, on Flickr

Yes it's a Canon, so it does have a place here, but it might also have a place in your own armoury, you may know I went from dslr primarily because of a shutter fault, but I still use dslr's, just not much any more. There's a reason for the change, obviously there's movement, but more importantly there's sound, something I hadn't really thought about, though often I am either in a place where there are lots of people chatting or too much distraction that I turn the sound off. I am currently bidding for a decent shotgun mic to supplement the built in mic to get a more directional recording rather than the built in stereo mic which is great from the gardening blogs.
    Why the C100 in particular?
    Firstly I am on a budget now I'm retired, secondly there's something you consider that you won't have thought about with a dslr, recording/down loading format. I am an amateur who is very unlikely to have anything that a tv company would want, so this camera is fine as it does not have to be 4k or above. There's a plus to this I found by accident, I can put short vids on flickr and share them around without the files being too big. It does not take more than an hour to down load to my youtube channel as the files are relatively small. When you consider all the old David Attenborough films were in this same HD format, you will not be so disappointed by the results.
    The camera comes as a complete unit, all you need is a memory card and you are away, there is a manual for using the camera, but I found there are loads of very useful youtube tutorials that help with setting the camera up. To start with I found some terminology different, there are things on this camera that are not on a dslr or mirrorless camera, but within an hour or so I had the camera functioning how I thought I wanted it. You do use your photographic skills the same as a stills camera, but shooting movies is different and this camera is very user friendly, maybe not completely idiot proof, but close. On the back of using the camera is another skill to think about when filming and that is post processing. As you know I often posted images "straight off the camera", I actually preferred not to use photoshop. Shooting movies with this camera is straightforward with a very long battery life you could film constantly for around four hours non stop, or you can shoot short clips and link them together, here a good editing program is vital. Now I have a decent pc and Davinci Resolve, the world is my oyster and I will really be able to try and use all the abilities that this camera has, most days I am finding out things this camera can do that I never knew about using film or digital. I am now trying to learn the art of composing a video/movie, like composing a still shot, but one that can go on a lot longer, wildlife filming is actually better for me with this camera, you can convey the habitat and the animal in it differently. The C100 is light enough to carry about in my hand even with a 100-400 lens on it, rucksack on my back with extenders and a different lens and my tripod in the other hand(I cancelled the gym membership, don't need it carrying this lot about), with the top handle and side handle fitted, the camera has everything to hand at the touch of a finger and I really can recommend this camera.
    As you can see from the image, there are a lot of "add on's " you can fit, some vital if using big lenses, but it is up to how you use this camera as how much or how little you add.
    Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Well written Burnie, quite informative but easy to read and understand.
    7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Good account Burnie, but as you know I have to use the C300 from time to time which I hate. In fact for the last two assignments I’ve used my own gear and the Sony for night shots.
      However I know two people who use the C100 and must admit they produce some excellent footage.
      I suppose to sum up, it’s just me, set in my ways.
      You will find a vast improvement in sound quality by investing in the ‘gun mic’, don’t forget the Dead Cat!

Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Well written Burnie. I have done a bit of filming of events in the past and appreciate that it is quite a different skill set. Good to hear you’re getting on well with your C100,

Ian
        Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Thanks all, I need some encouragement now and again, along with less wind, more light, no rain........yada yada yada................................

Comment

I was going to put how much the rig has cost, but as the wife might read this, I thought better of it, thank goodness for second hand outlets, I never knew you could pay £6k for a second hand tripod for example!!

Comment

Originally posted by tigerburnie View Post
              I was going to put how much the rig has cost, but as the wife might read this, I thought better of it, thank goodness for second hand outlets, I never knew you could pay £6k for a second hand tripod for example!!
              I paid over three for mine (Fluid Head) twelve years ago fluid.
              Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

I got a 504X Manfrotto fluid head for free, doesn't look like it's been used, when I picked up an E-Image EA 752 twin legged aluminium tripod, I paid more for the follow focus and rails kit than for the tripod !!

Comment

Working...
                X