EFS 17-85 f/4-5.6 IS USM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EFS 17-85 f/4-5.6 IS USM

As you may be aware,I'm a fairly new owner of my 550D which came with an 18-55 EFS.Apart from macro work,I'm just not using the 18-55 at all.
    The 17-85 seems to cover pretty much everything I need,except for the real distance work when wildllife photgraphing.
    It works well in low light(I avoid using flash if I can,especially on portraits)and I am really pleased with the quality in jpeg.My next challenge is try using raw and see how the lens performs(and my knowledge of the software)when producing A4 prints.
    Not a cheap lens,but so forgiving for a new user who keeps forgetting to take a mon pod or tripod with him.Simple to use and not too heavy to carry round your neck for a few hours.
    Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Re: EFS 17-85 f/4-5.6 IS USM

Is the 17mm-85mm better than the 15mm-85mm lens?
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
      Is the 17mm-85mm better than the 15mm-85mm lens?
      I would suggest not from all the reports.

Seems that the 15-85 and the 17-55 are the lens to go for
      ef-r

Comment

Hi Tigerburnie,

So you are looking to add to your 17-85? If so and reading your requirements, I would look for something with IS. When i was in a similar position, I went for the EF-s 70-300mm IS USM which is excellent and quite light in my opinion. I liked it so much I now have the L version. I believe the 55-250 is also favourite with others members here and there is a new version of that lens.

Anyway. Hope this helps.

Graydon
        Canon 6D & 7D | Light Room + CS6 |
        EF 70-300L | EF 100 Macro | EF 24-105L | EF17-40L | Canon EF 50mm

Comment

Thanks for the comments,as I'm new to canon lenses,I can't offer a comparison with others in the range,except for the the one mentioned.Were I about to buy now,I would get the body and the 17-85 to use as a sort of alrounder.Then may be go for a bigger telephoto,like the ones Graydon suggests,with a macro lens at a later date.
          Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

A few years ago I purchased a new Canon 40D + Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS as the kit lens (one box).
            This was an upgrade from my first D-SLR which was a Pentax *ist camera which was a wonderful camera and in some ways I actually regret selling.

At the time I knew nothing about camera/lens review sites (which was a good thing) so I did not know of any negatives/positives about the Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS lens.
            One of my first photographic trips with this new camera and lens was to Portmeirion (The Village) in beautiful North Wales and I took many photographs at different focal lengths.
            On my return I was absolutely thrilled with the results of the Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS lens very sharp and wonderful colours (those images are still on my webite).

Now I have studied many review sites (and I mean studied) and they say the Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS lens is not a great lens (I disagree). They also say the Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 USM IS is a far better choice and gives better border resolution than the EF-S 17-85mm, I can't comment on that as I have never owned or used the EF-S 15-85mm.

The Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS lens is better than the other kit lens (EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II) and is a great upgrade. It is affordable at £389 whilst the 15-85mm costs over £200 more at £608 (figures current from Warehouse Express).

In my opinion the Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS lens is a good lens, enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS2 View Post
              Now I have studied many review sites (and I mean studied) and they say the Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS lens is not a great lens (I disagree).

[snip]

In my opinion the Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS lens is a good lens, enjoy it.
              Perhaps the modern day DSLRs demand better glass like you said about the 7D? Perhaps on the 40D the 17-85 was fine - I wonder how the 15-85 results would have been heralded on the 40D - superb, 'L' quality maybe (like the 17-55?)

If this is true then the lower mp cameras (?up to 50D, up to 550D?) will work well with the 17-85, whereas the 15-85 can use the extra capabilities of the 18mp generation(550D/600D/60D/7D)
              ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
                Perhaps the modern day DSLRs demand better glass like you said about the 7D? Perhaps on the 40D the 17-85 was fine - I wonder how the 15-85 results would have been heralded on the 40D - superb, 'L' quality maybe (like the 17-55?)
                "They say the 7D demands better quality lenses" ... that's review sites and other individual opinions from people who I can only assume know what they are talking about and not my personal opinion.
                Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
                If this is true then the lower mp cameras (?up to 50D, up to 550D?) will work well with the 17-85, whereas the 15-85 can use the extra capabilities of the 18mp generation(550D/600D/60D/7D)
                I am no expert, just a keen amateur who wants to learn and reads review sites intensively to widen my limited knowledge.
                On the FM site the EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS is a highly regarded lens with a rating of 9.3 which is the same rating as the Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L lens.
                As this lens was launched with the 7D and many 60D users would also chose it then the reviews would be based on the high pixel (18MP) camera users.
                The Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS lens, however, has MIXED reviews, some winge about the build quality, I personally had no complaints. Those reviews would be mainly reviews of users of the 40D, 50D, 550D etc..
                Here's a quote (not mine but I agree with what is said about the EF-S 17-85mm):
                This is one of those lenses that you probably will not buy if you read the forums and maybe won't buy if you read the reviews here. It's very difficult not to get caught up in getting the best possible theoretical quality. But if you buy it and get out in the world and use it (particularly it's necessary to travel light) you will likely appreciate the overall good qualities of this lens.
                Personally (when used on a 40D) I felt the 17-85mm lens was a little cracker, within it's limitations.

Comment

The Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS lens, however, has MIXED reviews, some winge about the build quality, I personally had no complaints.
                  Having used my 17 - 85mm for the past four+ years it has now packed in. I have been looking at the replacement options up to a reasonable cost, and so far I am strongly leaning towards another of the same. It fitted my needs pretty much perfectly, and I had little complaints over the image quality. Yes it is a bit lacking in poor light situations; yes there is distortion at the wide end, but that is normally easy to fix in software. I can live with that - if it becomes an issue then I will need to look in other directions. As for build quality, it has never been an issue - sure, mine has broken down but I regularly read posts of problems with L lens failures even with the higher build quality etc, so a balanced approach is required.
                  Last edited by Petros; 27-08-2011, 11:20.

Comment

When you say it has "packed in" do you mean that it is not working or is it damaged or was it dropped? I thought Canon lenses last a long time if used with reasonable care & "love"!!
                    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Packed in = not working - the aperture is stuck in one position and the camera just reports an error, which only occurs with that lens. The lens was well looked after and had been used regularly as the main walkabout. Had a suggestion that it may be repairable, but the cost probably means its not worthwhile. Apparently its a known problem with this lens after four or five years use.

Comment

Working...
                      X