X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tigger
    replied
    Re: iMac Retina

agree 100% about the Mac's Jeff, but if your limited by funds you have to run with what you can afford, whether thats false economy or not

Leave a comment:

• the black fox
    replied

Originally posted by digiman View Post
    I am looking at a new computer right now. To answer your query, it's the cost, pure and simple. I know your argument will be that the cost over the life of the machine is far less, but, I find it hard enough to raise the £600 or so for a decent spec pc. To treble that budget and more for one with a half eaten apple on the lid just isn't going to happen any time soon. Just saying,

Garry

really false economy long term ,a new i-mac will be up to standard out of the box ,apple usually update there systems once a year a new one will get you through 5 or 6 upgrades .with ease and without having to spend more money .you won't need a better screen as its built in ,you shouldn't (unless things change dramatically) have to worry about anti-virus software ,or upgrading your graphics or sound cards a year or so down the line .it gives you full access to i-tunes and its apps ,it integrates fully with a i-pad and i-phone .and basically all you need on your desktop is a screen ,19 ,21 or 27 inch a small wireless keyboard and a small wireless mouse
    and quiet simply it JUST WORKS

Leave a comment:

• Tigger
    replied

Originally posted by digiman View Post
    . To treble that budget and more for one with a half eaten apple on the lid just isn't going to happen any time soon. Just saying,

Garry
    ;o)... TBH I only bought them as a tax right off

Leave a comment:

• digiman
    replied

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
    whats more amazing is the fact you got six years good use out of the old one ,and its probably still worth a few hundred even for spares and repairs ,i can never understand anyone not going for one
    I am looking at a new computer right now. To answer your query, it's the cost, pure and simple. I know your argument will be that the cost over the life of the machine is far less, but, I find it hard enough to raise the £600 or so for a decent spec pc. To treble that budget and more for one with a half eaten apple on the lid just isn't going to happen any time soon. Just saying,

Garry

Leave a comment:

• the black fox
    replied

i,m actually on my third one ,the first did break after 4 years ,the second i sold after 5 years as a going unit and as far i know is still working ,and my present one i have had for a couple of years .

Leave a comment:

• cjf999
    replied

Enjoy your new computer.

Leave a comment:

• tesarver
    replied

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
    I use a iMac 27" during the day but when I needed to upgrade my laptop went for the retina mac book pro and you can see quite a difference between them looking at images side by side - Its probably going to be a good few years before I upgrades my Imac but it will defiantly be a retina display, or whatever there new screen will be by then

enjoy the new machine
    I just upgraded my Macbook Air to the MacBook Pro. I did look at the the new Macbook and did a price comparison and decided that for the price I got more by going with the pro than the new Macbook.

Tom

Leave a comment:

• Redgrape
    replied

I replaced my 2008 iMac last year and got a few hundred for it. It worked fine but had slowed down due to the software I was running. I do know its still going strong. I do think they are ultimately worth the money because they certainly keep going for longer than a any PC I had before.
    Have fun with the new machine.

Sue

Leave a comment:

• Tigger
    replied

I use a iMac 27" during the day but when I needed to upgrade my laptop went for the retina mac book pro and you can see quite a difference between them looking at images side by side - Its probably going to be a good few years before I upgrades my Imac but it will defiantly be a retina display, or whatever there new screen will be by then

enjoy the new machine

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
    whats more amazing is the fact you got six years good use out of the old one
    If the graphics card had not started playing up I'd have probably stick with it for another year or more, it was still running nice and quick and coped with Lightroom and Photoshop very well.

Leave a comment:

• the black fox
    replied

whats more amazing is the fact you got six years good use out of the old one ,and its probably still worth a few hundred even for spares and repairs ,i can never understand anyone not going for one

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    started a topic iMac Retina

iMac Retina

Last week my old iMac (2009) started playing up and was eventually diagnosed with graphics card problems.
    So, after much deliberation I decided to upgrade to the new retina iMac, fortunately having a wife who is a teacher meant we got a decent discount in the Apple store.

So far I've been very pleased. The display is extremely good, very clear with even lighting.
    Editing in Lightroom is good with no lags or delays, and response is generally better than my old iMac.

The migration was easy and my time machine backup was easily applied and all accounts and info transferred to the be machine.
    Overall, I'd definitely recommend the retina iMac.
Working...
X