Photoshop Elements 8.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photoshop Elements 8.0

I see there is another new version of this software - available now for download and free use for a month. Has anyone tried it yet? If so what changes or improvements are there - is it worth upgrading from version 6.0?

Re: Photoshop Elements 8.0

Have not looked at v8 myself. Recent review in PhotoPlus suggested that upgrading from v7 probably not worth it, but for versions prior to 7 was worth doing.

Adam

Comment

I've never had a previous version, but using PSE 8 now and find it very good, even better for us mac users is that it comes with the full CS4 version of Adobe Bridge. The only down side for me is you can only edit in 8 bit not 16 bit files.

Comment

I just purchased a new computer with Windows 7. My son backed up my photoshop elements 4.0 information and transferred it on the computer. Well the pictures are all there, but the tags are gone, we did get a not compatable screen when doing the transfer. Not a big deal, I can work around that. My question is....I am wanting to get photoshop 8.0 because Adobe support informed me that is what I have to get to go on Windows 7. I was told that photoshop 7.0 would not work. Well I have read so many horror stories about 8.0 now I am scared to death to purchase it and try it out. Can I get my photoshop 4.0 catalog to transfer okay upon installation of 8.0? I am not very computer savvy. I have my son do all the technical stuff, I have not touched my pictures other than in the organizer for 4.0 since the transfer anticipating the purchase of 8.0, would like input as to whether 8.0 is just one big problem, or a good piece of software

Comment

Hello Joan; welcome to the forum...

Where have you read 'horror stories' about PSE8 ? True - there's been some discussion about the 'Organiser' side of PSE8 - but the main 'Editor' side seems to be flawless... (Admittedly I don't use the 'Organiser' so I'm not that interested in that side of life...

You could try running PSE4 in 'Compatibility Mode' under W/7 - it will emulate older versions of Windows...

As for release prior to PSE8 'not working' ; that's being 'economical with the truth'... They may not be fully compatible, but run under 'compatibility mode' they should function AOK...
          I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
          Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

I upgraded to PSE8 because PSE7 could not read RAW files from my EOS7D and I was unable to find any way round this other than to upgrade....
            The PSE8 editor is super, but that said I had no problem with PSE7 until I bought the EOS7D...
            Great marketing ploy Adobe....
            Ian
            EOS 1DX, EOS 5D mkiii, EOS 7D, EF 17-40mm f4 L USM, EF 24-70mm f2.8 L II USM, EF 70-200mm f2.8 L II IS USM, EF 50mm f1.2 L, EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro USM, Speedlite 580EX

Comment

Originally posted by Ian_rw View Post
              I upgraded to PSE8 because PSE7 could not read RAW files from my EOS7D and I was unable to find any way round this other than to upgrade....
              The PSE8 editor is super, but that said I had no problem with PSE7 until I bought the EOS7D...
              Ian

Adobe force you to upgrade application for new camera support shocker.

The have been doing this for years, one reason I'll NEVER convert file to Adobes dng file format.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                Adobe force you to upgrade application for new camera support shocker.

The have been doing this for years, one reason I'll NEVER convert file to Adobes dng file format.
                An interesting thought Mark.

I deliberately don't use dng format, because I pay enough Adobe Tax as it is, so I certainly don't want to promote their own file system.

Colin
                Colin

Comment

I, too, upgraded from AE8 from 6 because was told that the latter would not accept my RAW images. Now everything is great BUT having made a copy to work on in the full editor, the end product is saved as dng. Fine until I wanted to upload the end result to my blog and the program will not accept the format. In "My Pictures" the image is saved with a basic logo. I simply renamed the image as a jpg and up came the image. Thought I was being very clever until, once more, I tried to upload. No doing! How on earth do you edit a RAW in Elements 8 and then get it save as a jpg? Rather sad to say, I had to o back to editing the RAW in Picasa so that I could complete the blog upload.

Anybody out there had the same experience and have a great solution to offer? Thanks

Bob Wright

Comment

When you do 'save as' you change the format to be JPG - when in the editor
                    ef-r

Comment

I use PSE 6 and no problems at all (350D) and I am using win 7 prof. The only thing which is a slight pain though is reading raw thumbnails - but that's to do with Microsoft!! PSE 6 reads the raw files. Howver I also use DPP, and this solves all my problems as I can edit in 16 bit, do all the major changes, then save and do the rest in PSE as a tiff file. This way things are kept simple. I find DPP fine to use, even though -as yet- it doesn't have all the 'sliders' that ACR has! No plans to upgrade yet - no need to!!
                      Richard

Think before you press the shutter button!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian_rw View Post
                        Ian
                        I have windows 7, I run PSE7 and I have an EOS7D. All you have to do to read and adjust raw files is update the plug in on elements 7, and bob's your uncle.

John

Comment

Also if you want Microsoft Windows Explorer to display RAW thumbnails ... ensure you have the most uptodate Codec from Canon (v1.7 at the time of writing)

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post
                            Also if you want Microsoft Windows Explorer to display RAW thumbnails ... ensure you have the most uptodate Codec from Canon (v1.7 at the time of writing)
                            As long as you're running the 32 bit version of Windows 7. Canon don't seem to want to support 64 bit at the moment

Comment

Working...
                            X