Upsizing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upsizing

I have just changed from a windows machine to a mac; I have paint shop pro which is a windows only version, and I have DPP which works on the mac, but I dont have anything to increase image size (which I need for submissions to agencies). I have tried Picassa but it doesn't seem to have this function.
    I dont want to buy elements immediately....any ideas?
    And is Elements the best software to buy in the future?
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Re: Upsizing

Brian,
    Bite the bullet and go for Elements. or you could try GIMP which is free and is available for MAX OS X but I think you may have to do a bit of work to get it running on your MAC. I see the instructions for GIMP on MAC are on the GIMP website.

If you are intending on submitting to agencies then I think the purchase of Elements, or similar, is a "no brainer".

David
    David

Comment

I thought you had a 50D Brian ?

What agency insists on full size images from a 50D being upsized ?
      You can get bigger pics (pixel dimension wise) than someone with a 5D or 1Dmk3

Trev

Comment

Trev,
        I do have a 50D , the raw files are big but I have a few shots where there is a lot of one colour - i.e. silhouettes/sunsets - and when you convert to jpeg they become incredibly small - I think its because the compression process reduces the file size by saying - hey there is a big area with one colour - I'll note that but not record every pixel. The agency is declining them for being too small.
        So I think I need to upsize them....perhaps I'm missing something?
        Bri
        Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

By the way...I'm only reluctant to buy Elements because I've now discovered how powerful DPP is having taken the advice to check the tutorials. So I thought I'd get really good with that before making a hash with layers etc which is fine for the more experienced.
          Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Brian,
            If you are "worried" about Elements then have a look on the Adobe site for video tutorials and You Tube has literally hundreds of Elements Tutorial videos which will get you through "the maze"

David
            David

Comment

Brian - I converted from PSP to PSE - very simillar at the simplistic level
              ef-r

Comment

Brian

If you save your files from DPP as TIFF's, doesn't that provide a big enough file size?

Colin
                Colin

Comment

Colin, I'm sending in to Alamy and they will only accept JPEGs. Any files considered under 17MB uncompressed are automatically rejected at the upload stage
                  I think increasing the size of the JPEG is the answer - that is their recommendation - and to use Elements.
                  I have had 17 images accepted by their QC and two rejected for size - one is a jogger on a beach in silhouette against the sunset and the other is a red phone box against a pure blue sky. I think the compressing will naturally make these images small files.
                  Cheers Brian
                  Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Brian ... I assume you are saving with best quality '100%' when exporting to JPEG?

Also in DPP use the Resize facility (in Convert and Save). For example I've just taken a 40D RAW file (11.6MB) and saved. Resized to the maximum (9999 x 6666) and 100% quality and 300dpi. It came out at 26.5MB. Oh and looks okay as well ;-)

So there is some scope in DPP ... not sure what maths it uses when resizing (bicubic or whatever) but it seems to work. Worth a try if you already haven't rejected that method.

Comment

Working...
                    X