Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remote For TimeLapse Photography

hi all,

im looking for a remote for time-lapse photography does anybody have any suggestions im using a canon 7d camera??

ive been looking at these remotes -
    Canon Timer Remote Control TC-80N3
    Hahnel Giga T Pro II Wireless Remote Control

are any of these any good or is they a different one thats better??

thanks,
    richard
    Last edited by Richard12; 14-10-2013, 12:27.
    Cameras: Canon EOS 7D
    Lenses: Canon 17-40mm L f4, Canon 300mm f4 L IS USM, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 L MK2 IS USM, Canon 60mm Macro f2.8, Canon 40mm f2.8 STM, Sigma 10-20mm f4.5-5.6, Lensbaby Muse + Double Glass Lens, Canon 1.4x Extender MK2

Re: Remote For TimeLapse Photography

Richard, a friend of mine has the Hahnel unit which he has used to record time lapse videos of sheds and conservatories being erected for his sons company. The results I have seen are pretty good

Comment

I have the Hahnel unit as well and I've created a couple of time lapse videos - just to see how it all went together.

The unit did exactly what was expected of it but like many things these days you would never figure out how to use it from the instruction sheet (I wouldn't describe it as a manual). Someone (I think from the company) put together a video on You Tube which does help - but I don't use it enough to remember the exact steps and so have to keep going back to this video as a reminder. I guess I should create my own crib sheet for it.

It is relatively inexpensive (compared to bodies and lenses) but it may be that someone has created an app (iOS and/or Android) that could replace it by now.

Scott

Update : checkout DSLR Controller which is an Android app to control Canon DSLRs. The FAQ page suggests that they have developed intervalometer functionality.
      Last edited by anderson.council; 14-10-2013, 13:48.
      Scott

500px flickr

Comment

I've used a cheap (e-Bay or Amazon) TC80 clone made by Shoot for years and don't have any complaints. At <£15 it's served me well, however the cable is starting to go now.

As mentioned by Scott, there are a number of smartphone apps which will offer enhanced functionality over and above what the intervalometer provides, on the iPhone there's TriggerTrap which has a wealth of triggering options, but you'll have to consider battery life on long shoots so perhaps a dedicated piece of hardware is a better bet.
        Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Richard - not sure as to how and where you want to us the time lapse facility but have a look at the Canon Utility software that probably came on a DVD with your camera. There is time lapse functionality there that may save you some money and do the job you want.

Comment

I have the Hahnel unit, and really like it, but I haven't done time lapse yet.

I also have a 550D, which has a different connector to the 7D (which I also have!), and the Hahnel unit comes with both connector leads. It can work connected to the camera by the lead, or remotely as a remote switch. The switch element is programmable depending on what you want to do. Once you get to grips with it, it's quite OK to use.

If you do get the Hahnel, make sure you get the Canon variant, not N*k*n one!

Mike
            flickr
            5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

I bought this one from Amazon last week, not had the chance to use it yet, did a fair bit of research and the reviews were excellent, turns out its made by Yongnuo.

Doug
              Cameras... 7D, 350D
              Lens...Canon 17-40 f4, Sigma 70-200 f2.8, Tamron 28-300 f3.5, Canon 18-55 f3.5

Flash...600EX-RT

Montana 5 flickr
              Montana 5 Car-tography

Comment

thanks for all the help guys, i think ill nip into Jessops next time i pass and have a look at both and buy one...(maybe the Hahnel)
                Cameras: Canon EOS 7D
                Lenses: Canon 17-40mm L f4, Canon 300mm f4 L IS USM, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 L MK2 IS USM, Canon 60mm Macro f2.8, Canon 40mm f2.8 STM, Sigma 10-20mm f4.5-5.6, Lensbaby Muse + Double Glass Lens, Canon 1.4x Extender MK2

Comment

If you have a android device - www.dslrcontroller.com
                  Canon Eos 70D, Tamron 28-300mm XR Di VC, Yongnuo YN565EX + YN568EX, Panasonic FZ200

Comment

Working...
                  X