Angle finder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Angle finder

Does anyone have experience of using an angle viewfinder?
    Is the Canon one better than the third party one - the third party one produces a 'darker' viewfinder image according to a review I've seen.
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Re: Angle finder

Hello Brian

All of my kit is Canon. Either more money than sense, or a firm belief that Canon design a fully integrated system that works with each other on multi levels, combined with full backward/forward compatibility.

Back to the plot: I have the Canon Angle finder C and a friend has "Mickey Mouse" angle finder. Not sure of the current price, but I paid £148 for the Canon and he paid £24 for the third party. After extensive examination and exhaustive trials between the two, I have come to the definitive conclusion on the differences between them ....................... the label!

Colin
    Colin

Comment

I have a 3rd part one (seagull) and for the small amount I use it it's fine.

The price difference is so great, my advice would be get a 3rd party one and see if it meets your needs, if it does then great, if not you've lost £30 minus what you can sell it on for.

Comment

That flip-out screen with liveview on the 60D could offer an flexible alternative to using a tradtional angle finder.
        Trev

Comment

Good idea Trev, but not so good in bright sunlight.

I had one on a Canon G6 and found that problem out.

Colin
          Colin

Comment

Hi Colin,
            I was thinking more of dawn or dusk landscapers.
            I cant see a thing on my 40D lcd on a bright day, at least not clearly enough to tell a "dead cert keeper" from a "very nearly" shot.

Out of interest can you see the LCD on the Mk4 clearly on a bright day ? I know LCD technology has moved on a bit since my poor old 40D
            Trev

Comment

Bearing in mind that nothing is perfect in direct bright sunlight, but other than that it is very good and a significant improvement over the MKIII. The MKIII has 230,000 pixels against 920,000 for the MKIV. Couldn't definitely tell a keeper with the MKIII until I had checked it on the computer, but on the MKIV I can tell on the rear screen.

I understand that the 50D, 7D and 5DMKII has the same screen as the MKIV and I think I read that the 60D has 1,040,000 pixels.

Colin
              Colin

Comment

I bought a couple of angle finders a while ago for Dee and I on e bay for £25 each. Although they dont get used that often I cant see that a Canon one would be 5 times better for 5 times the price

Stan
                Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                flickr

Comment

I've used the Seagull angle-finder for 18 months and it does the job perfectly
                  5D Mk3, 24-105mm f/4L IS, 70-200mm f4L IS, 100mm f2.8L Macro IS, 24mm f3.5L Tilt-Shift,
                  MP-E 65mm f2.8 1-5x Macro, Sigma EX DG 12-24mm f4.5-5.6

Comment

Brilliant - I'll order an independent one - in readiness for those low autumnal pics I have planned.
                    thanks everyone!

Ordered a Seagull
                    Last edited by @imagesBV; 09-09-2010, 19:28.
                    Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

having read the thread, I have also ordered a Seagull and look forward to playing with it. thanks for the advice...
                      EOS 1DX, EOS 5D mkiii, EOS 7D, EF 17-40mm f4 L USM, EF 24-70mm f2.8 L II USM, EF 70-200mm f2.8 L II IS USM, EF 50mm f1.2 L, EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro USM, Speedlite 580EX

Comment

I'm pleased with my Seagull - used it twice recently with camera set low down - nice to come away with some nice pictures and without a crick in the neck!
                        Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

I have the Canon Angle Finder C. It works very well and is surprisingly clear. I like that you can turn it to different angles--still at 90 degrees to the eyepiece, but at a couple of different angles relative to the camera back, if that makes sense. I use it when taking portraits where the model is seated: it makes it easier to see the image without having to bend over and twist around. I also like that I can adjust it to either 1.25x or 2.5x. This helps in focusing manually.

It comes with a couple of adapters that allow it to be used on different Canon types of eye pieces. That's allowed me to use it not only on my 5D II, but also my older EOS 33V film camera.

It has the quality and functionality that are typical of Canon photography products. I recommend spending the extra money for the Canon--but it looks like you already ordered something else.

Comment

Working...
                          X