Backpacks vs Shoulder camera bags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Backpacks vs Shoulder camera bags

I too prefer backpacks, and generally use a Pro Trekker. If I know what I intend to shoot then I may take a shoulder bag, but carry this rather than sling it on my shoulder. All those years of yomping carrying my own weight plus have provided plenty of practice. I also have a jacket with large pockets that can evenly distribute the load. As Colin says though there is no perfect one-size-suits-all-purposes-bag. Though confess to owning more tripods than bags. At present!

regards

Nigel

Comment

Originally posted by Edd1e View Post
      I have 7 bags......................& still not found the perfect one!
      Wow ........... thought I was bad !!
      Cheers Mark

www.ms-photo.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by doktorstamp View Post
        Though confess to owning more tripods than bags. At present!
        I have three tripods and a monopod!

Colin
        Colin

Comment

I have tried both the lowepro slingshot and the backpack and I have found that the back works best for me.

I also found that when using the slingshot it was still easier for me to take it off in order to get to my camera and lenses. I also used to find that because the strap only sat on one shoulder it was a bit uncomfortable. Being left handed also did not help much as the bag seems to be set up to cater for right handers.

Comment

Originally posted by Collette Haworth View Post
            I have tried both the lowepro slingshot and the backpack and I have found that the back works best for me.

I also found that when using the slingshot it was still easier for me to take it off in order to get to my camera and lenses. I also used to find that because the strap only sat on one shoulder it was a bit uncomfortable. Being left handed also did not help much as the bag seems to be set up to cater for right handers.
            I'm left handed too, and I also found the slingshot to be easier when taken off. Now all I have to do is find the perfect backpack lol.

John

Comment

I am left handed but right eyed. So I hold the camera in the left hand and use the viewfinder with the right eye. Because the slingshot sits on the left side I bing it round and use it to rest my left elbow on when taking pictures - rather like prone rifle shooting - bt standing up. This is one of the reasons that I can get good pictures at slow shutter speeds
              ef-r

Comment

Probably the best solution is to have someone else carry all your gear for you. Unfortunately Glenn won't carry mine :p and I can't afford a pack horse!

Comment

At this time I use a Crumpler bag, the Jimmy Bo. I find this very handy. Because you can wear it around your waist and on your shoulder. But I did see a nice one from LowePro: DryZone Rover. With a backpack, you have always your hands free.
                  With kind regards,
                  Friso

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 | Canon EFS 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6mm IS STM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 |

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128548396@N08/

Comment

Happy to see I'm not the only one that uses a Crumpler bag - They have rather silly names -- think mine is called the 5 million something or other -- It's a rather small compact really well made (as are all the Crumpler products) shoulder bag that I have strapped on a few of my Tamrac Lens cases -- two cases slip onto the bags side slots along with a Cokin filter pouch for the ND's & the GND's -- In short I can carry a maximum of 5 Lenses in/on the bag plus one on the camera: 24 1.4, 35 1.4, 50 1.4, 85 1.8, 135 2.0 & in the bag itself 100-400. All the lenses plus all the other "stuff" usually carried in bags comes to a grand total weight of 11.5 lbs. The bag works for me for what I term as walking around photography --- For long hikes where you need both arms free such going down/up the Grand Canyon - make damn sure your in pretty good shape for this -- I wasn't -- I use the Crumpler Back Pack -- Can't remember the silly name they call that. The back pack is as expected much easier on the old body but must be taken off to get at the gear.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Stern View Post
                      Happy to see I'm not the only one that uses a Crumpler bag - They have rather silly names -- think mine is called the 5 million something or other -- It's a rather small compact really well made (as are all the Crumpler products) shoulder bag that I have strapped on a few of my Tamrac Lens cases -- two cases slip onto the bags side slots along with a Cokin filter pouch for the ND's & the GND's -- In short I can carry a maximum of 5 Lenses in/on the bag plus one on the camera: 24 1.4, 35 1.4, 50 1.4, 85 1.8, 135 2.0 & in the bag itself 100-400. All the lenses plus all the other "stuff" usually carried in bags comes to a grand total weight of 11.5 lbs. The bag works for me for what I term as walking around photography --- For long hikes where you need both arms free such going down/up the Grand Canyon - make damn sure your in pretty good shape for this -- I wasn't -- I use the Crumpler Back Pack -- Can't remember the silly name they call that. The back pack is as expected much easier on the old body but must be taken off to get at the gear.
                      Did you do the Bright Angel Trail? From the top of de Grand Canyon to the Colorado River and back. A few guys from my travelgroup did that in less than a day.
                      With kind regards,
                      Friso

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 | Canon EFS 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6mm IS STM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 |

Comment

You got it --- Thats the one -- Going down = not at all bad -- BUT --- Coming back up = total bummer needed all the assistance my in shape son could afford me -- We started at 7:AM & returned at around 6:00pm -- Take lots & lots of water & if your anything like me your going to need lots of rest stops coming back up. Bottom line = Short of a Heart Attack it was totally worth it !!!

Comment

Becareful of the Tamrac shoulder bags. This D-ring broke after 2 months on my Tamrac pro-12. Only had the eos 1D2n with 300 f4 + 1.4 t/c and the 50D with 135L - not exactly overloaded !.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Stern View Post
                            You got it --- Thats the one -- Going down = not at all bad -- BUT --- Coming back up = total bummer needed all the assistance my in shape son could afford me -- We started at 7:AM & returned at around 6:00pm -- Take lots & lots of water & if your anything like me your going to need lots of rest stops coming back up. Bottom line = Short of a Heart Attack it was totally worth it !!!
                            Yes. You have time to get down until aprox noon, and then you have to go up. Because of the heat. Friends of my had to run down, to get down by noon. Respect that you have done it in one day!
                            With kind regards,
                            Friso

Comment

I, as Colin, did not get on with the Lowepro Slingshot in its first incarnation but the MK2 version launched in July 2010 works perfectly i.e.it rides as described by Brian & slings smoothly across the lower chest.
                              After years of minor irritation carrying my Kit, I have no shoulder/back ache whatsoever & zero issues when shooting (often finding where to put my bag down gave me grief).In fact,only this week a keen photographer (had more kit than Jessops) asked me about the bag to aid his Lens changing technique!
                              Terry

Comment

Is it which bag or something else? We are all different, long, tall, short broad etc. If you walk badly or if your"Gate" is incorrrect
                                you could well produce a back problem agrevated by carrying a weight. Try this site to highlight the point http://www.backinaction.co.uk/mbt-info.
                                I'm not suggesting people run out and buy! It just food for thought.
                                Some sport shops will put you on a gate analysis machine and make you a pair of shoes to correct walking problems. The masai shoes are actually in my opinion
                                ugly and expensive, but as I said food for thought. Oh and a recent visit to jessops(the its over there sir, find it yourself brigade) I thought many of their bags were little more
                                than fifteen quid school bags with compartments costing an extra £50.
                                Alun

Comment

Working...
                                X