Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better combination Tripod and Head

Hi

I am bit confused with the choices around when it comes to tripod and head. I would really appreciate if the experts and members who could help me with this.

I am looking for a Tripod that i can carry around with me (Travel) ideally not more than 1.5Kg and i will be using it for mainly Landscape and Portrait and at times for panning.

My current camera is EOS 5D and the lenses are 24-105 L, 100-400 L, 100mm Macro. I am thinking of upgrading my camera to Mark II in the future and may be getting a fixed lens of 300mm.

So the tripod should be able to accommodate my future needs in terms of Withstanding the weight and the length of the lens.

Hope i made it clear enough. I am prepared to invest up to £250.

Thanks in advance.
    Raj
    Flickr

Re: Better combination Tripod and Head

With the sensible budget you have in mind, you can go for carbon fibre. Light enough to carry, stiff enough to be useful and not freezing cold in the winter if you have to hold it.

Look at the Manfrotto 190 CF range at around £200 and for heads, the mini ball 494RC2 at £50 or the 3 way 460MG for £65.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

I recently bought the Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 Carbon Fibre plus the Manfrotto 460MG 3D Magnesium Head from Warehouse Express and cannot believe how light the combination is. The cost was about £20 over your budget.
      In hindsight I possibly should have gone for the 190CXPRO4 as the four part legs fold up to a slightly smaller length but when extended the same height a the PRO3

David
      David

Comment

Apparently, Redsnapper are very good for the price and well within your budget...............

Cheers Mark

www.ms-photo.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Colin, David and X-ray-spex.

Does anyone own one redsnapper tripod and what do you think of them.

Ball head vs 3way? Which one suits my need better?
          Raj
          Flickr

Comment

Hello RJ;

Ball head vs 3way? Which one suits my need better?
            That's a question only you can answer! You need to get to a decent outlet & play with them.

I can't help on the RedSnapper kit; but, like David, I do have the Manfrotto 190CXPRO3, and can vouch for that. Unlike David though, I would NOT have opted for the PRO4. IMO, the legs at full reach are too spindly on the 4-section; they're more robust on the 3...

As for heads; I use the 'old' 488RC2 ball-head, with the QR plate, and am generally happy with it. I think the replacement model is the 498RC2...

You might also want to check-out the 'Pistol-Grip' and 'JoyStick' heads; 322RC2, 324RC2 and 327RC2. I don't have any experience of them; but they appear to be quite popular!

Good luck...
            I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
            Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

the legs at full reach are too spindly on the 4-section; they're more robust on the 3...
              Thanks C-F you have just laid to rest the little niggle in the back of my mind which was saying that maybe I should have gone for the 4 section Manfrotto.
              I think that Muscat may have the 4 section Manfrotto

David
              David

Comment

Yes I do have the 4 section Manfrotto and agree that if you are using it fully extended in a strong wind with a large lens you need to add extra weight or a teather to hold it steady but I have found for most of what I want it works OK. I took it with me to Shanghai and got some decent pictures with it there even in the strong wind. If you can manage with the 3 legged version it will be slightly more stable

Comment

So its going to be Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 and i will go to an outlet to decide on the head as suggest by C-F.
                  Raj
                  Flickr

Comment

Well done rajjayaraj

If you can go during the week, there tends to be few customers and you can play with different kit all morning if necessary. Weekends a bit too busy for that.

Colin
                    Colin

Comment

Hi Rajjayaraj,
                      I woudl go for a good quality ball head to begin with.
                      I have a pan and tilt head and never once used it for panning.
                      You may have different needs, a good ballhead will allow smooth panning anyway.
                      The two handles of the pan and tilt head can sometimes get in your way.
                      Eg if you have the standard canon strap + a remote shutter release cord it can get a bit tangled, that could be down to my slap dash approach on occasions.

Trev

Comment

I am heading to the shop on monday to play with the head to make up my mind
                        Raj
                        Flickr

Comment

Thanks Colin for the advise to go on a week day. I took my kit and tried them and was well worth it. It did made a difference rather than just buying of the internet. However i came back to place the order on the web as the web price is cheaper than the store price.

I went for the 055CX Pro3 with Giotto head MH1300-621. I found this combination worked better and quite sturdy and future proof (in terms of handling weight).
                          Raj
                          Flickr

Comment

Working...
                          X