Swiss Arca heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swiss Arca heads

I’m just curious about these Swiss Arca and others heads and plates for tripods. They seem incredible expensive … I assume they are precision engineered quality items. But in what situations would someone use them rather than a Gitzo or Manfrotto standard issue head?

Just curious – I’m not flush so probably never be in the situation to afford one of these items.

Re: Swiss Arca heads

I am guessing it is because the heads can take loads of 60kg compared to the typical 5 - 15kg of the other devices.

Comment

They are very well engineered and generally used with heavy telephoto lenses and gimbal heads.

I rarely use a tripod with my big lenses, but if I do I use a Manfrotto 501 video fluid head. It "sort of" does the same job as a Swiss Arca and gimbal unit combined, at about a quarter of the price and I actually prefer the action of the less expensive solution.

Me, prefer something less expensive? That's a first! :)

Colin
      Colin

Comment

I have been using this system for years now and the quality is second to none.It seems to be a standard for long lenses and they clamp up very well and the camera plates fit like a glove and cant spin loose, they do cost a lot bet I think you get what you pay for.

Comment

Working...
        X