Canon LP E6N batteries losing charge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon LP E6N batteries losing charge.

I have 3 x Canon LP E6N batteries. One came with the camera and the other two I have bought new, all three are genuine Canon.
    All three batteries have been fully charge using the genuine Canon charger.
    After leaving the batteries in my camera bag (not in the camera) for a couple of months (maybe a little longer) they have lost between 20% and 30% of their charge.
    Is this normal?

I leave the batteries in their orange holders until I want to use them, they are kept in my camera bag which is always kept indoors.
    When planning a trip out (not very often) I always double check my batteries and other equipment the day before.
    I check the batteries in camera using the battery info.

Thanks
    Stephen
    Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
    Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Quite normal if you are leaving them for that amount of time.

You could consider a routine of charging monthly, or charging the day before you go out with the camera. Better still .......... both! :smile:
    Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
      Quite normal if you are leaving them for that amount of time.

You could consider a routine of charging monthly, or charging the day before you go out with the camera. Better still .......... both! :smile:
      Thanks Colin
      Glad it's normal.
      I do double check the day before going out and re-charge the batteries so that they are 100% charged.
      I rarely need to change the battery but keep two spare to play safe. :wink:

flickr

Comment

According to my electronics engineer brother, Li ion batteries are best stored part charged at around 70% and then topped up just before use. You should stick to this as Li ion cells have a limited number of charge/discharge cycles so don't charge them fully until you need them.
        Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Sound advice Alan, I wasn't aware of that.
          Colin

Comment

I'm never too old to learn, thank you Alan and Colin :thumbsup:

flickr

Comment

Not sure but I seem to remember reading somewhere that canon cameras do not have an onboard battery anymore to maintain camera settings and the camera battery is used to keep date and time etc also if the GPS is turned on it will use battery power when the camera is turned off
              Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

Working...
              X