Which Tripod Head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Tripod Head?

I want to have a go at shooting the Moon, something I have not done before.

On my tripod I have a Pan/Tilt head. A friend has told me that I need a Ball head as it will allow the camera to face up to the moon higher.

If this is right, can someone please suggest a Ball Head for me to buy but if possible under £50. I would try and buy it second-hand if I could as money is tight. Thank you.

Railway Photography - Steam Train Photos

Have you tried your pan and tilt head before you spend on a Ball head ? I`ll be honest I am not a big fan of Ball heads , and I havn`t particularly struggled to photograph the moon with my very basic Pan and Tilt head , or My Manfrotto 393 head . I am sure there will be recommendations come along for you though .

Comment

I cannot see the difference between a pan and tilt head and a ball head. In fact I would say the ball head would be better, it will tilt from the horizontal to the vertical. I have a couple of two inch ball heads that I carry all the time for use at what I call my 'tripod positions', and I have no problem whatsoever with them.
      Last edited by Trev B; 08-05-2020, 20:30.
      Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Thank you both for your info. I shall have another go with my tripod to see if I can get it in a better position.
        Railway Photography - Steam Train Photos

Comment

Working...
        X