Birds Brittanica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Birds Brittanica

I enjoy my bird and wildlife photography and I noted in a previous thread that Colin C recommended the book
    Eric Hosking's Birds.
    Not only do I enjoy the photography but I also enjoy reading wildlife books.
    Has anyone got the BIRDS BRITTANICA book and do they recommend it.

I have the Collins guide, and Birds and People by Mark Cocker and David Tipling which I strongly recommend
    I was wondering if The Birds Britannica would be a worthwhile addition to my collection.
    Please list any other books that you recommend.

Many thanks.

Alan
    Last edited by Alan Campbell; 31-08-2013, 10:40.
    Canon 7D...Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L is...Canon EF 300mm f4L is...Canon 1.4x extender MK ll...Canon 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 is usm...Canon 50mm f1.8 stm... speedlite 430 EX11...Canon EOS-M3...18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 is stm...

Re: Birds Brittanica

I've got a copy, and if you haven't seen it, it is a stonking great tome. Obviously don't get it if you want a field guide (it'd cripple you lugging it about!) but as a mix of background study on all our birds plus some social history on our interactions with them through history it is a great reference and an enjoyable read too.
    Canon EOS 7D
    EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
    Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
    flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

On this very subject, I use the RSPB Birdwatchers Pocket Guide by Mitchell Beazley when I am out and about. It has done me well for many a year, but is there anything else I should be looking at? Mine is over 20 years old and first published in 1979. I am sure there must be something more up to date, equally pocket sized, but taking advantage of digital illustrations for more definitive bird identification.

Any suggestions?
      Colin

Comment

Thanks Alex the book seems just what I am looking for when its chucking it down.
        Something to mull over on a winters night.

Alan
        Canon 7D...Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L is...Canon EF 300mm f4L is...Canon 1.4x extender MK ll...Canon 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 is usm...Canon 50mm f1.8 stm... speedlite 430 EX11...Canon EOS-M3...18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 is stm...

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
          On this very subject, I use the RSPB Birdwatchers Pocket Guide by Mitchell Beazley when I am out and about. It has done me well for many a year, but is there anything else I should be looking at? Mine is over 20 years old and first published in 1979. I am sure there must be something more up to date, equally pocket sized, but taking advantage of digital illustrations for more definitive bird identification.

Any suggestions?
          Colin if you have an iPod touch or iPhone I can recommend an app called ibird uk , it contains over 280 birds with information and photos.

Another useful feature I have found is that it has sounds for all birds so you are able to recognise them from their sound.
          I have played some sounds in the field and it actually attracts the birds in closer for you to photograph.
          (maybe cheating) but it works.

Alan

Comment

Great idea Alan, but I don't have smart phone etc. Just an ordinary phone and I don't even use that much.
            Colin

Comment

Collins Nature Guide Birds of Britain and Europe contains over 310 species of bird and as colour photos. Worth a look at especially if you can get one cheap, which I did.
              Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
              Di's Flickr

Comment

Working...
              X