EOS Training Academy online course?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EOS Training Academy online course?

Anyone done it? I'm wondering if this is suitable for me? I'm just starting out - I've had my camera (1200D) for about a year, I'm getting out of auto mode more and more and learning lots from online and book sources BUT I'm not yet shooting RAW and have no photo software. I really want to learn how to do these things, as well as improving my in camera skills, but I'm not massively tech savvy and I'm a bit nervous of trying them without some guidance. I have a 27' iMac and retina macbook pro - just not the skills to use them properly!!

I'm seriously thinking of signing up for this when I get paid on Thursday - any opinions?

Re: EOS Training Academy online course?

You should have DPP Digital Photo Professional disc with the camera [ Canons own software ] purchase the Nina Bailey book for DPP for beginners and that will tell you all you need to know to get started > this will shoe you RAW as well. Hope I helped and enjoy your journey

Ian [ Pingdriver ]

Comment

Originally posted by Pingdriver1952 View Post
      You should have DPP Digital Photo Professional disc with the camera [ Canons own software ] purchase the Nina Bailey book for DPP for beginners and that will tell you all you need to know to get started > this will shoe you RAW as well. Hope I helped and enjoy your journey

Ian [ Pingdriver ]
      Thank you, that's actually helped loads. I didn't think I had it but went off to look at the discs I have put away from various cameras - thought it would say DPP on it in big letters but it's actually call EOS Solutions. Just one question - I've had my camera for over a year would I be better off downloading from the Canon site to ensure I have the latest version? I'll definitely take a look at the Nina Bailey book too, cheers for the recommendation.

No opinions re the online training? I guess most people here wouldn't need that training?! I'm still thinking of enrolling tomorrow.
      Last edited by Orangediva; 27-07-2016, 21:51.

Comment

Certainly go online and get the latest version of DPP as there will be a more recent release.

Online training? I've never tried it but looking the link I'd say that for £79 it could be good value because it's a structured approach and it will overcome a lack of discipline inherent in most of us.

What I and I suspect most of us here have done, however, is just get out there and take photographs as, unlike film, there is no cost involved. Experiment with the different settings, inspect the results to see what effect they have (eg shoot the same subject at a range of apertures from wide open (lowest f number) to closed up (biggest f number) and see what difference it makes to your depth of field (the front to back range of focus). Shoot at low to high ISO numbers and inspect the clarity of the results (low ISO will be clearer and high ISO you'll see 'grain')

Always shoot RAW. RAW is where the camera records all the information the sensor captured so there will be detail hidden in the shadows that DPP can extract. JPEG is where the camera takes a guess at what an image should look like but discards lots of the detail DPP could make use of. I learned early on that digital images do need tweaking and just a little sharpening and adjustment to highlights and shadows will make a mundane exposure into a great one - and that's where DPP comes in.

So whether you sign up for the course or not get out there and take photos. Lots of photos and post them here (via Flickr), ask questions and you'll get lots of useful feedback that can only make you a better photographer.

Good luck

Cheers,
        John

Comment

Use your disk and then check for updates. If you go straight to the Canon site you will need your serial no, same result.

Comment

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post

What I and I suspect most of us here have done, however, is just get out there and take photographs as, unlike film, there is no cost involved. Experiment with the different settings, inspect the results to see what effect they have (eg shoot the same subject at a range of apertures from wide open (lowest f number) to closed up (biggest f number) and see what difference it makes to your depth of field (the front to back range of focus). Shoot at low to high ISO numbers and inspect the clarity of the results (low ISO will be clearer and high ISO you'll see 'grain')

Always shoot RAW. RAW is where the camera records all the information the sensor captured so there will be detail hidden in the shadows that DPP can extract. JPEG is where the camera takes a guess at what an image should look like but discards lots of the detail DPP could make use of. I learned early on that digital images do need tweaking and just a little sharpening and adjustment to highlights and shadows will make a mundane exposure into a great one - and that's where DPP comes in.

Cheers,
            John
            agree - it cost nothing to walk around trying out different settings and then seeing how your images have come out, and maybe post them here for feedback

No comment on the Raw debate, too many trainwrecks here - but I agree with John
            :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Many thanks for the replies and advice. The explanation of RAW versus J-peg is very helpful - I'm taking the plunge tomorrow and setting my camera to RAW. I have downloaded my DPP software and I'm raring to go. I have also decided to enrol for the online training - I'm definitely someone who benefits from a bit of structure so I think it will be good for me and £79 for a years use of the resources seems good value.

Hopefully I'll pluck up the courage to post some images here soon

Comment

Nothing to add to what has been said by others, except for good luck and enjoy the journey that we are all on. I have learned more through this community than from anything else. And remember, every bad photo is just a learning opportunity. Trite but broadly true.
                Canon EOS 7D
                EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Thank you so much for all of your advice. I enrolled on the online course and have done a few modules which seem very clear and concise - I have picked up quite a lot already. I'm now taking my pictures in RAW and J-peg format - just for the time being so I can see the differences whilst I work out how to process them in DPP (now all loaded up on my iMac and macbook and I have had a little play with it).

I took the plunge and bought an 80D last week

It seems to be an amazing camera! I also bought the Nina Bailey 80D ebook which is brilliant for someone like me - I've been playing with all the settings and in camera features (loving the sepia on my white cats!) and really like the results. I'm off to Center Parcs Sherwood Forest next week so am hoping to come back with some pictures to post here for advice on what I'm doing right/wrong - if I dare!

Thanks again for all the help

Comment

Working...
                  X