Reputable Online retailer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reputable Online retailer?

Just been looking at the "Simple Electronics" website for Canon lenses, and for the one Im looking at they are incredibly cheap!!!

Anyone had any experience using this site, and if so are they pretty decent and reputable?

Cheers,

Nick

Re: Reputable Online retailer?

Yes, I bought my 24-105 f4L from them. The delivery was a bit slow - all stock was allocated so I had to wait a week.
    The lenses are imported (white box) I don't know why that makes any difference? But at B&H they offer both White and Red box with a £10 difference.
    Simply Electronics also have a UKAS accredited ISO9001 certificate for their Quality Management System - which means they have procedures to ensure they supply bona-fide goods.

I'd have no hesitation!
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by lashboy View Post
      Just been looking at the "Simple Electronics" website for Canon lenses, and for the one Im looking at they are incredibly cheap!!!

Anyone had any experience using this site, and if so are they pretty decent and reputable?

Cheers,

Nick
      If you mean "Simply Electronics", then yes - disatrous. Someone buying a lens on my behalf needed to change it for a different specification. Getting a refund took over a month and the intervention of Google before there was any progress. All contact met with the same "we will deal with it" type of standard reply - with no action between time. Never again.

Martin
      Last edited by MartinR; 06-11-2010, 22:41. Reason: misleading spacing

Comment

If you do mean "Simply Electronics" you may want to read this thread from AV Forums.

Comment

Sorry yes, I did mean simply electronics.

Thanks for the mixed advice. It was the 24 - 105 lens I had in mind!

Will read a bit more before deciding to buy from them.

Thanks,

Nick

Comment

Nick,
            Have a look at this link for a very good price for the 24-105 and they are a UK Camera Shop who have had good reports in another thread on the forum.

http://stores.homestead.com/HomeDisc...TAL/Detail.bok

David
            David

Comment

A viable alternative is to buy secondhand from a reputable dealer

I have bought several lens from this dealer - and they come with a six month warrantee

here
              ef-r

Comment

I find that most long established reputable shop retailers also have websites and on-line purchasing facilities available. In my experience if you are prepared to search amongst them it is quite possible to find prices competitive with the on-line only outlets, some of whom may have dubious sources for their sales stock.
                At least if the retailer has shop premises and you hit a problem there is the facility to go and thump the counter in front of other shoppers.
                Quentin

Comment

Cheers for the links there fellas, extremely helpful!

Nick

Comment

Do not touch them, even with an extremely long barge pole.

I ordered my 50D from them as it was supposedly in stock and available for next day delivery. In addition, the web site makes it look as though they are based in Nottingham.

Several weeks (and all sorts of lame excuses) later, I couldn't wait and had to cancel the order. Even getting through to their customer service department was a frustrating experience of longs queues and frequently getting cut off. Going through to the small print of their website, I also discovered that they were based in Hong Kong, not Nottingham.

Even though the goods weren't despatched, they took the money from my credit card on the date of the order. Getting a refund from them was almost impossible. In the end, I had to take up a case with Barclaycard in order to get my money back. They finally refuded the money almost 3 months after the original order.

Some people have had reasonable experiences with them, but even if you do get what you ordered, I suspect you'd have just as much trouble if you needed to make a warranty claim.

Comment

Working...
                    X