Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this a good tutorial book to get started with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this a good tutorial book to get started with?

Hi! So I've very recently decided to take up some light photography and was looking into a few tutorial books that I could refer to for the basics, both in terms of the abstract meaning behind pictures and also the technical know-how behind cameras and their lenses/settings.

I came across this article, which recommends a volume called Read This If You Want To Take Great Photographs. Something about the simplicity of that title sort of grabbed me, but I would also like to get an opinion from someone who might be familiar with it, before pulling the trigger. Would you recommend it to an absolute beginner?

TIA!

Hi Avandor. First welcome to the Forum. There are a great many books out there on how to take good photographs, and I'm sure some may lead the reader in the right direction, some may not!. I have no knowledge of the one you refer to. May I suggest you forget about the book, go out take some pictures and put them on here via Flickr. You will receive all the help and advice you need from Forum members regarding the pictures you submit - don't be shy, put some pictures up.
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Yes welcome, do as Trev says and just put some shots on here, say what you think is wrong or right and someone will help you with no unkind comments just very constructive.

Comment

Hello Avandor, I can't comment on the book that is reviewed in the link you supplied, though Trev has given you some good advice ^

Also have a look at the books that are available to purchase in the EOS shop there's probably one for your camera model, when get it

Link follows:-

Accelerate your learning and enhance your EOS photography with our unique and carefully curated collection of resources and accessories for your Canon camera, all handpicked by the EOS magazine team.

I will suggest an on line resource that may meet all of your requirement that you have defined in your opening post above. The link I show below is to photography tutorials that cover the subject of photographic terms/techniques etc.

There is also a forum associated with the tutorial content, though unlike this forum it isn't only focussed on Canon equipment.

I make no recommendations about the other forum. However I have no hesitation on recommending you doing as Trev and David have suggested on this forum.

Link to my suggested tutorials follows:-

Last edited by ST-EOS; 21-12-2021, 07:36.
        Peter

Feel free to browse my
        Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Originally posted by Trev B View Post
          Hi Avandor. First welcome to the Forum. There are a great many books out there on how to take good photographs, and I'm sure some may lead the reader in the right direction, some may not!. I have no knowledge of the one you refer to. May I suggest you forget about the book, go out take some pictures and put them on here via Flickr. You will receive all the help and advice you need from Forum members regarding the pictures you submit - don't be shy, put some pictures up.
          Alright, understood! I'll get to work and see what I can throw together.

Comment

Originally posted by ST-EOS View Post
            Hello Avandor, I can't comment on the book that is reviewed in the link you supplied, though Trev has given you some good advice ^

Also have a look at the books that are available to purchase in the EOS shop there's probably one for your camera model, when get it

Link follows:-

Accelerate your learning and enhance your EOS photography with our unique and carefully curated collection of resources and accessories for your Canon camera, all handpicked by the EOS magazine team.

I will suggest an on line resource that may meet all of your requirement that you have defined in your opening post above. The link I show below is to photography tutorials that cover the subject of photographic terms/techniques etc.

There is also a forum associated with the tutorial content, though unlike this forum it isn't only focussed on Canon equipment.

I make no recommendations about the other forum. However I have no hesitation on recommending you doing as Trev and David have suggested on this forum.

Link to my suggested tutorials follows:-

https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm
            That seems really comprehensive, thanks! I'll be sure to go through it all.

Comment

So this is what I managed to put together so far, with a camera I borrowed from a friend for the time being. Please let me know what I did right or wrong because I'm sure there's much room for improvement here.

Starting out by Avandor, on Flickr

Not very good at titles by Ayaan Danish, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
              X