Frozen Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frozen Lake

Took this a few years back with my trusty IXUS 950, in the semi frozen harbour of Lake Chiemsee, Bavaria. went for a walk early in the morning before work, it was -15. Been playing with it in Lightroom a bit, can't decide if I have made it nice or not. Sun is a bit bright but I love the image, mainly as I love the place and it is a nice reminder, anyway here it is - feel free to critique - if anyone wants to play with the brightness of the sun, or suggest a treatment I could try that would be great also.

Ian

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    EOS 600d, ef 18-55 is kit lens, 50 mm 1.8 mkii, Tamron 70-300, 430EXii

Re: Frozen Lake

That's a cracker. Love the way the mist is backlit. Pity about the sun because everything else is near perfect. Probably the best thing you could have done with it was to take the picture ½ hour earlier! However, by accident while scrolling up I noticed you can crop the picture to almost square with the top line of the frame running straight through where the cloud meets the sun on the left hand side. That gives the effect of the sun without it being a distracting highlight and the squarer format is very pleasing.
    Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

I just tried that, you are absolutely right, does improve it and reduce the glare.

Comment

Originally posted by Woolley View Post
        by accident while scrolling up I noticed you can crop the picture to almost square with the top line of the frame running straight through where the cloud meets the sun on the left hand side.
        What Woolley said, which is, of course, what I would have said first!

Well noticed, and congrats for not walking up the path first and leaving footprints! Nice one!

All the best, Mike.
        flickr
        5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

A great image, thank you for sharing.

Comment

Very cold but very nice, as has been suggested I prefer a square crop.

Comment

Yes very nice ... you can even see the 'steam' as the water is heated by the sun.

Comment

Originally posted by mikep View Post
                congrats for not walking up the path first and leaving footprints!
                I did, aftwards, and took this:

was thinking of using it for a Christmas card, but never did.

just in case anyone is interested you can see the set (some are very bleak - it was very cold!) and I have not altered them in any way, save for cropping the first one as suggested, here:

Last edited by celtex; 01-02-2012, 11:15.

Comment

I like the first one. With the crop or with out. Beautiful sight.
                  Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                  Di's Flickr

Comment

Fabulous set. Beautiful light, not ideal for making correct exposures, but I'd say you've nailed every one. I'd be very happy if they were mine.
                    Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Thanks everyone for your kind words, I was very pleased with them at the time, but it is great to hear that others like them too. I had said initially that I took them with an IXUS 950 - quite an old camera by today's standards, but when I loaded the set onto Flikr, it brought up the EXIF data, and I was surprized to realise that actually, these were taken in 2006 (doesn't time fly?!) and with the first digital camera that the wife and I purchased, a Canon, IXUS 400! - it has only 4 Mpixels! It was getting towards the end of it's useful life then (the battery was dying) but we still have it and it still works.

I remember at the time we bought it, friends were buying higher MP cameras but they could not touch the quality we were getting from the 400, then when we got the 950, (8MP) they were even better

Canon make good comapacts for sure.

Thanks for looking

Ian

Comment

Working...
                      X