Buying on E-bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying on E-bay

I 'm on the point of purchasing a Canon S100 as I 'donated' my old Sony p and S to my son so he could take photos of my grandson in the u.s.a. The cheapest (£289.00), I have found is on E-bay - in England (Surrey), and it's at least £20.00 less than others I have seen advertised. Jessops charge £80.00 more and they do not even indicate what is included for the price. So is there a catch, would I be safer dealing with named store? Advice, please!!
    Last edited by DianaS; 01-04-2012, 17:22.

Re: Buying on E-bay

Why not consider the Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Digital Compact Camera - only £165.00
    14MP and 12X zoom compared to 12MP and 5X zoom on the S100.
    Just a thought.

canon-powershotsx150is.jpg

Comment

Before I buy anything on eBay I always check the ratings of the seller, if they are not in the high 90%s I don't bother to purchase, I also always use my PayPal account and so flat have been OK. If possible I would also conduct a google search for reviews of the seller again if they are dubious I don't buy.

If you can get the camera for only £20 cheaper and you are uncomfortable them get the more expensive item at the known shop.

Sorry not much help but if the ratings are good for your eBay seller and you are usingp PayPal I don't think you have too much to worry about, if you have a PayPal account set up to use a credit card the item is over £100 so you should be covered under the credit card insurance should you be unlucky and hit upon a rouge trader.

Comment

Have a look here

Top service from Ian
        Ive just bought a G12 and Siggy 10-20 from him

Just remembered - a 24-105 as well!

Comment

But the S100 has a much bigger sensor 1/1.7" (43 sq mm) vs. 1/2.3" (28 sq mm) so is capable of better performance is lower light. Also a better LCD on the back. Plus Digic 5 of course.

E-Bay are usually pretty good at buyer protection, but I'd be tempted to pay a bit more and go somewhere like http://www.flashcamera.co.uk/canon-p...l-camera-black who people here seem to feel is okay (I haven't dealt with him). Also on E-Bay check postage and insurance rates, as people often hide some of the cost there.

The (I believe) reputable Hong Kong sellers, like http://www.digitalrev.com/product/ca...mera/MTMwMDQ_A seem to charge £289, so a very keen price. I'd probably like to know why.

John

Comment

Ah, I was writing about Ian the same time as someone else :-)

Also on E-Bay always pay by PayPal or similar, never go for any deal for a discount ("split the E-Bay cost", or whatever) to pay "outside" of E-Bay by a money transfer or anything like that.

Comment

Thanks for all the good advice - will probably go for the flashCamera website, only decision now will be black or silver!
              The s100 comes highly recommended by a photographer friend, so I think I will stick with that choice; I hope to use it for diving (with a case, of course), and feel it will perform better in the light conditions I will encounter!

Comment

Ian offers a great service at FlashCamera, you shouldn't be disapointed.

Comment

I have bought several expensive items on Ebay and have not had any problems over the years. Of course I had the one or two bad eggs which you find everywhere but the problems were quickly put right via the Ebay/Paypal guarantee schemes.
                  Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Just to say that I did buy theS100 from Ian Kerso and it was an excellent transaction.

I then had to buy a book to learn about all the features as I could not face printing out the200+ pages User Manual, to say nothing of lugging them all over the place to refer to when using the camera. It has so many features and is great fun to use

Comment

Good luck and happy snapping with you new camera.

Comment

In my books, Ebay is OK for buying goods and paying by Pay Pal but not good for selling items. Their charges to sell are ridiculous.
                        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I have used Ebay many times over the years for all sorts of goods with very few problems, as has already been said only deal with people who have excellent feedback and you should be fine..
                          My flickr http://flic.kr/ps/2g5eDa
                          © JH Foto
                          The word photography derives from the Greek φωτός (phōtos), genitive of φῶς (phōs), "light" and γραφή (graphé)

Comment

Working...
                          X