Which Powershot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Powershot?

I am looking to replace SWMBO's Kodak 2MP brick, which is just about grinding itself towards the big camera heaven in the rubbish dump with one that works on the triple P principle (point press & pray) for her, but has some whizzy bits for me to use when I cannot/do not want to take my 5D mk 1 with me. I am looking at either the Powershot G12 (which I notice was reduced in price yesterday on Amazon & at Dixons to £319.99) or the SX40 HS. Your thoughts please, or other suggestions would be welcome.

Alan
    Sometimes I drink water. I like to give my liver an occasional surprise!

Re: Which Powershot?

Whilst the G12 is a very good bit of kit (I've a G10) ... you need to check that your good lady can handle it. I wanted to get my SWMBO a G series but she felt it too large (something to do with handbags ) and in the end she went for a Panasonic TZ20. That's a league down from the G series ... BUT she'll use the TZ20.

Comment

My wife uses a G12 and is very happy with it. The image quality is surprisingly good. Also has the capability of shooting in RAW as well
      ef-r

Comment

I am sure she will be very happy with a Canon G series. I bought a second hand,MINT, G7 for my grand daughter aged 12 yrs,and ended up keeping it and gave her my more expensive SX30 IS. If you wish to see the quality of the pics from a G series, take a look at my pics (People & places) of HRH Prince Charles & the Duchess. They are crystal clear images. Perhaps I would suggest a G10, G11 or G12.
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post
          Whilst the G12 is a very good bit of kit (I've a G10) ... you need to check that your good lady can handle it. I wanted to get my SWMBO a G series but she felt it too large (something to do with handbags ) and in the end she went for a Panasonic TZ20. That's a league down from the G series ... BUT she'll use the TZ20.
          MX5 Makes a good point,Most females (not all) like something that will fit into their handbags and doesn't take up to much room and would rather have a point and shoot camera,Check first with your wife as she probably has a totally different view on cameras than you ?

Paul
          EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
          Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Maureen doesn't use handbags (except when she's having a go at me!). She and technology don't go well - she doesn't drive, just rides a bicycle! so needs to be simple for her. Probably one of these tiny jobs would get lost inside of 1 month knowing how careless she is with the house keys!. It is IMHO vital that a camera has a viewfinder. My camcorder doesn't & I find that a real problem in bright weather, assuming we get some sometime this decade.
            Sometimes I drink water. I like to give my liver an occasional surprise!

Comment

Originally posted by alannfrost View Post
              It is IMHO vital that a camera has a viewfinder.
              That's becoming rarer by the day on P&S cameras. I managed to get SWMBO off her old Powershot (which did have one) to the Panasonic (which doesn't, but has a bright screen). She doesn't do technology so any thought of her having a G1X (errrrrm you know what I mean) ... so I let her pick. Size does matter I'm told

Comment

Working...
              X