Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G11 problem with Raw plus Jpeg

Greetings,
    I think the G 11 is a cracking little camera - BUT - having menu selected Raw plus Jpeg I find it saves 2 identical Raw files but no Jpeg..
    Has anyone else found this, do I have a faulty camera or does Canon have a Firmware problem?

And, why-oh-why is the option for Raw plus Jpeg only have the largest Jpeg at the highest quality? Surely anyone who is working in Raw could construct a maximum Jpeg from the Raw file if they really needed one. I would have thought that the more likely need would be a Raw plus small Jpeg so that one had an immediate file for review or for web use.

Regards,

John

Re: G11 problem with Raw plus Jpeg

Hi,
    I have noticed, using the RAW+JPEG setting, I can only view the JPEG image on the camera. When I upload the images on to my pc, I can view both the RAW and JPEG files. The camera saves both RAW and JPEG but can only view JPEG on camera. Strange, because, if you record RAW only, you get to view the RAW file on the camera (Firmware update required)
    Your second point, I assume a firmware update can solve this problem.

Comment

I am pleased to note that your camera seems to be able to record both Raw and Jpeg, it seems that mine has a fault and its not a general problem. Canon have advised that I return it to the retailer. For your second point, I suspect that you are not actually reviewing the Raw file but that the camera creates a Jpeg especially for rapid viewing on the monitor, I believe that is the case for the DSLRs too.
      regards,
      John

Comment

I have the G11 and cant fault it (yet) apart from it horrendously slow "continuously shootong" mode.
        I have found one totally unexpected problem though, and I wonder if anyone else has... and it's nothing to do with the G11... but the SD cards it uses. I bought a Sandisk Ultra ll to go with it but none of my card readers will read it! I've and Epson Digital wallet which reads it and so does the slot on my computer but no card reader that I have come across yet! (I have access to another 8 where I do some voluntary work). Any ideas on that?

Comment

Originally posted by camerasouth View Post
          I have the G11 and cant fault it (yet) apart from it horrendously slow "continuously shootong" mode.
          I have found one totally unexpected problem though, and I wonder if anyone else has... and it's nothing to do with the G11... but the SD cards it uses. I bought a Sandisk Ultra ll to go with it but none of my card readers will read it! I've and Epson Digital wallet which reads it and so does the slot on my computer but no card reader that I have come across yet! (I have access to another 8 where I do some voluntary work). Any ideas on that?
          I've bought one too, and still experimenting with it. However, in the light of your posting I checked my Sandisk Ultra II Card in my card reader, and it worked fine. The reader is a SanDisk ImageMate 12 in 1.

As a matter of interest, I used the same cards in my G9 without any reading problems.

Good luck, Quentin

Comment

Originally posted by JohnMahany View Post
            I am pleased to note that your camera seems to be able to record both Raw and Jpeg, it seems that mine has a fault and its not a general problem. Canon have advised that I return it to the retailer. For your second point, I suspect that you are not actually reviewing the Raw file but that the camera creates a Jpeg especially for rapid viewing on the monitor, I believe that is the case for the DSLRs too.
            regards,
            John
            Hi John,
            You are quite right, that is exactly what the camera does with the RAW+JPEG. I have used a DSLR for a number of years and presently use the 5D2 but it's surprising how little points like this, can easily be overlooked. I prefer to use either RAW or JPEG.

I hope you get your camera back soon. I rate the G11 highly and it has infact given the 5D2 a complete rest for the last two/three weeks. I think its a great improvment on the G10.

Good luck with the G11.

Jawed

Comment

Interesting...I've now tried the Sandisk ulyta ll in a brand new card reader that I have bought for someone else but that doesn't reads it either...in fact putting the card into the reader freezes the reader display and the computer! Remove it and back to normal..put another SD card in and no problems. I wonder if there is some new technology in the cards that ordinary readers don't like ? To test it further I tried it in my Dell laptop...that has a PC card slot and I have an SD adapter for that. Normal SD cards are no problem but the Ulrta ll doesn't even show up! Has anyone else found this problem?? (maybe we should start a new forum on this !!)

Comment

Hello,

@ JohnMahany: I had the same problem. In fact, I found this thread before contacting canon. A guy at canon usa, who had a G10, gave me a big help: you just need to import the files from the camera using the program given in the CD (which name I can't remember). If you do so, the program will automatically "divide" the raw in the camera into one raw and one HD jpeg in the computer.

I hope that can help you out and everyone who has the same problem :)

hugs,

andré

Comment

As I have said before - I have had no problems with the Ultra II Card that I have in my G11. I use the Sandisk Imagemate 12 in 1 card reader, and everything works fine as intended.
                  I also use the Canon Zoombrowser software to import, that came with the camera.
                  I suspect that some peoples problems are caused by using a 'mix' of hardware and software, rather than items that are designed to be used together.
                  Quentin

Comment

Working...
                  X