Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/bbcode/url.php on line 2 Notice: str_replace(): Passing null to parameter #3 ($subject) of type array|string is deprecated in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/string.php on line 3 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/bbcode/url.php on line 2 Notice: str_replace(): Passing null to parameter #3 ($subject) of type array|string is deprecated in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/string.php on line 3 Compact wanted - EOS magazine forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Compact wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compact wanted

Can any members point me towards a camera which will fit into a pocket with good image quality for those occasions when a DSLR is not suitable or convenient.
    I have looked at the Powershot S95 which has a highly-rated and fast lens and is available at a good price (£199 at Amazon) now that the S100 has replaced it. It has good reviews, but according to some sources many Canon compacts eventually develop the E18 lens error, usually after the warranty expires.
    Unfortunately, the G series cameras are a bit too large and heavy for my needs.

Thanks

Ian
    EOS600D, 17-40mm L, 70-300mm IS, 50mm f1.8, 18-135mm STM, Powershot S95, 12 extension tube, Speedlight 380 EX.

Re: Compact wanted

I have the S95, excellent images and it shoots RAW. £199 is a damned good price, go for it :)
    The camera works just fine, it's the idiot staring through the viewfinder that need's help!

Comment

I have the slightly older S90 and its a great little camera.
      Previously "The Real Swoosh"

My Blog..HERE....My website.....SECONDINTIME.....Flickr HERE..... 500px HERE

EOS 60D, EF- 70-200 L (non is), EF-24-105 L, EF-17-40 L , EF 100mm Macro, , EF 50mm II, 580 EX II, Canon S90. Kids Kit. EOS 500D, EF-S 18-55mm, EF-S 55-250mm IS Manfrotto 3405B Tripod. Hama Compact pro Tripod. Giottos MTL 9351B Tripod, Giottos MH 1300 Head, Manfrotto 790B Monopod. Billingham Hadley Pro. Lowepro 202AW Slingshot Bag.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. I must admit I was sold on the S95 until I heard about the lens errors. Obviously you have not had this problem.
        EOS600D, 17-40mm L, 70-300mm IS, 50mm f1.8, 18-135mm STM, Powershot S95, 12 extension tube, Speedlight 380 EX.

Comment

Ian, I have gone through 2-3 compacts and I can happily suggest the G series. Why don't you try Ebay and try and get hold of an older model like the G7, which I have. It is not too big and definetly fits your jacket pocket. I actually bought one for £70 via the Forum Classifieds with the intention of giving it to my grand daughter but having tried it a few times, I have nationalised it and kept it, and gave her my more expensive Powershot 30SX IS. The end result is that both of us are very happy with our compacts. The older G series has a viewfinder as well, which I find is very good,and which I use often in preference to using the LCD screen to compose etc. My HRH photos were all taken with the G7 and with using the viewfinder.

Best of luck in your "hunt"

Nat
          Last edited by Nathaniel; 13-08-2012, 13:49.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Thanks, Nat. The G7 looks quite small and your HRH photos were certainly a good advert for it. I will certainly bear it in mind if I come across a good example second-hand.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by Deva32 View Post
              Thanks, Nat. The G7 looks quite small and your HRH photos were certainly a good advert for it. I will certainly bear it in mind if I come across a good example second-hand.

Ian
              Have a look at Ebay now. I have seen a few for sale there in good condition.
              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Compact wanted

I have the S95. Great little backup when I don't want to carry the DLSR

Tom

Comment

I'm not really here any more, but the Sony RX100 leaves everything else in the dust. I paid £494.10 for mine, inc delivery, so not cheap.

The Sony RX100 Digital Camera Review - The best pocket digital compact of the year...actually...EVER! Holy Pocket Rocket! That is what I said when I shot this camera and brought it back home to take a look at the files. The Sony RX100 is a SMALL pocketable camera, as in front pocket camera, and it

John

Comment

John - Thanks for returning, albeit briefly, for my benefit. Sadly, this is a bit too pricey for me. Nice idea though.
                    Good luck

Ian

Comment

Working...
                    X