New G11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New G11

i see that Canon have introduced the new G11 to replave the G10, it has a lower pixel count, hopefully it will not be a noisy in the high (>100) ISO range.

Re: New G11

I purchased my G10 late last year and have had some great results - such as:

The spec on the new G11 looks impressive but it is still a compact. However if my G10 is anything to go by the G11 should be a damn good compact camera.

CPN link = Click Here
    Last edited by rhodopsin; 20-08-2009, 21:08.
    rhodopsin The fat bloke with the camera stuck to his face, well actually I was born with it.

Comment

They seem to be moving back towards what's needed by the users of this type of camera. Pixel count is less important than noise, as you say. If you think of the original G1 which I bought to take to California in 2001: it was only 3mp but had a constant aperture f2 lens throughout the range - equivalent to 35mm to 135mm I believe. Since then, they have fitted slower lenses. The G7 (or was it the G8) dropped RAW functionality. I have the G9 but the aperture is variable and starts at f2.8 and goes to f4.8. Other features are very good, including IS, RAW, etc and I find the noise performance good. With the G10, at last, they went to a 28mm equivalent and am glad this has continued with the G11. I shall read reviews of this with great interest. Shame they can't squeeze in a faster lens....
      www.garywhite-photography.com
      Gary White, MPhil
      Travel Photographer

Comment

I also have a G10 and love it very much. It's a nice camera to go out with the family and also get's noticed less (compared to my 40D). I don't have any plans to replace my G10 for a G11 as I tend to only shoot ISO 80 (mostly landscapes) and am quite happy with the results. If I want to shoot high ISO work I always go back to my 40D.

Thanks,

Anthony.
        http://www.lorantphotographics.co.uk

Comment

I'm not so sure I like the flipable LCD
          Jerry
          7D - S100 - S120

Flickr
          @jerryraia

Comment

Once you've tried it (flippable LCD) you'll grow to love it, ideal when you are in a crowd, another plus is that when it's tilted you can see it clearly in bright sunlight.
            I use a G5, a very short lived model in the Canon range.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
              I'm not so sure I like the flipable LCD
              Don't knock it till you've tried it (a bit more). I started with a G2 and I miss the flip out screen. Currently have a G9 as my DSLR back up cam and will be looking at moving up to the G11 when it comes out. It will make a great Christmas present for me!
              John
              Last edited by forrest5000; 24-08-2009, 12:44.

Comment

Well I will certainly have to go play with one when it shows up. I think the new S90 is worth a look too.
                Last edited by Jerry; 22-08-2009, 17:09.
                Jerry
                7D - S100 - S120

Flickr
                @jerryraia

Comment

Yes I feel the S90 is my more likely purchase due to it's size. I could squeeze it in the DSLR bag or pocket.

The only disappointing aspect is that it can't be used with my 580 flashgun even via a cord (that I'm aware of).

Comment

Accepting that Canon have to progress to remain market leaders I think it is a shame that they keep updating their models so frequently.
                    I bought a G9 when still the current model, just about a year ago, then came the G10 shortly afterwards, and now a G11! Too many, too often.
                    Quentin

Comment

Originally posted by Quentin View Post
                      I bought a G9 when still the current model, just about a year ago, then came the G10 shortly afterwards, and now a G11! Too many, too often.
                      Quentin
                      ...and a lot of the changes are cosmetic!
                      Jerry
                      7D - S100 - S120

Flickr
                      @jerryraia

Comment

Quentin, I agree really: I too bought the G9 about a year ago, to find it was discontinued within a month. The problem is that everything is market-driven. A company can't afford to not respond to another company's initiative. With modular construction, they already have the next model waiting in the wings..... It's a shame, as apart from the lack of 28mm equivalent at the wide end, the G9 was about right... Gary
                        Gary White, MPhil
                        Travel Photographer

Comment

Bought myself a G10 two weeks ago. Story of my life! I won’t lose any sleep over it though. It fits in my pocket and it’s handy to keep in the car instead of taking all my gear every time I go out. Great to have the forum back by the way.

Comment

Jury is out on the flippable screen for me too, especially as the screen size has been reduced. I have no problem with the sensor down sizing if the gains in dynamic range are as good as they are cracked up to be. I love the G10 and will wait with eager anticipation as to what the G11 can do

Comment

I never found flippable screens that useful. I think the other features of the G11 are more attractive to me.
                              Gary
                              Gary White, MPhil
                              Travel Photographer

Comment

Working...
                              X