Which one to chose??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which one to chose??????

Quentin, I did sell the G7 as it was in good condition. Bought it at first for my grand-daughter and kept it and gave her another one! Used it for 2 years without any problems and now decided to upgrade. My G1X should arrive in a few days via courier. Yes, I have a warranty and the seller has had excellent feedbacks over the years and no negative ones. He has also sold other expensive items as shown on the feedback details.
    I will see how I get along with the G1X and will post any suitable pics. I am still looking for a "holiday" lens or camera and if the G1X can accept a telephoto lens then, that would be fine. I am looking for a reach of about 300-400mm.

Sorry to have hijacked your thread.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Hi Nathaniel
      No hi-jack at all, we were looking for similar information, but apology appreciated, and accepted!
      I doubt that there is any telephoto attachment that will give you 300-400mm on any compact, but who knows what will appear in the market place tomorrow! (Wish I did, I could then keep prevaricating and waiting for tomorrow.)
      Look forward to your pics. in due course.
      Quentin

Comment

Roberto
        Yes, I meant a glass screen protector, I have Giottos glass screen protectors on all my other equipment, and have even successfully removed one and re-applied it to another camera.
        I have never really got to grips with the 'film' type of protector, and I have tried some expensive ones. However, if I buy a G1X I will try your suggestions, so thank you.
        Quentin

Comment

Whilst on this thread about glass protection (LCD) I have used one on my canon 60d and although it is not a very tight fit when closed, I have no problem. It is correct to say that the LCD screen (with the glass protector in place) is not 100% flush into the recess but I know that my LCD screen is well protected. I would rather have a proper protector on the LCD screen than be without it. It is a personal choice anyway.

Would you know of any other attachment that would atleast give me something more than 112 mm with the G1X?
          Last edited by Nathaniel; 07-08-2013, 16:32.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Nat - there is nothing from Canon that can act as an extender for the G1X [well according to Canon USA] ... so you get what you get with the G1X (unlike some other G's for which you can get extenders). If you are a lenshood user you might consider the "Canon Lens Hood LH-DC70".

Comment

Mx5, thanks. Is there a UV filter that I can attach to the lens, with or without an adaptor? I use all my equipment reasonably often and I woulld certainly like some protection for the front,glass element.
              Last edited by Nathaniel; 08-08-2013, 13:10.

Comment

Yes Nathaniel. You need a the filter adapter from Canon (FA-DC58C), and then any 58mm filter can be added to the front element. You may also want to consider the Canon lens hood for this camera, (LH-DC70).
                Quentin

Comment

Originally posted by Quentin View Post
                  Yes Nathaniel. You need a the filter adapter from Canon (FA-DC58C), and then any 58mm filter can be added to the front element. You may also want to consider the Canon lens hood for this camera, (LH-DC70).
                  Quentin
                  Thanks Quentin. Do post some of your pics taken with your G1X. I expect mine tomorrow.

Comment

Hi! there. thought I'd let you know that I have returned my G1X due to an intermittent zooming problem and got a full refund plus all my inwards and outwards postal costs. Although the advert said "factory reset etc etc" it was NOT a good buy after all as the seller was not canon authorised or connected in anyway with Canon. So now, I have bought a new Canon G15 and waiting it's arrival in due course. I like the Canon lay out and I like the G series since I had a G7 which gave me sterling performance depsite it's "old age". The G15 is coming from our good friends in Hong Kong of course and I have a 3 year warranty with the company- doesn't bother me really.

Yes, as mentioned elsewhere above, I won't go in for any add ons except perhaps a UV filter, it this can be affixed to the G15 lens.

Comment

Nathaniel
                      You and I have not had much luck with the G1X! (See other thread.)
                      I have a replacement reserved with another (reputable) dealer until next Wednesday, and the bonus is that there is now £50 Canon Cashback on the G1X since yesterday! I think it is £30 on the G15, but possibly not through your Hong Kong dealer.
                      You might want to consider a lens hood for the G15, as well as a filter, past experience with Gs suggests to me that flare may be a problem.
                      Disappointed that we won't be comparing notes on the G1X though.
                      Quentin

Comment

Well Quentin! By usurping/hijacking your thread we have now got a common link, a common grouse. I could have got a G1X for £309 with a 12 months guarantee but I am getting the G15 for £264 with the sellers 3 year guarantee for whatever it is worth. I went for the G15 as I thought to myself that the G1X was not meant to be for me, although it was a newish camera without any blemish on the body,lens or LCD screen.
                        Anyway, we can always compare our different compacts now as most of the reviews I have looked at seem to compare both our models side by side!!! I am keen on a filter plus an LCD glass protector & maybe go in for the lenshood, which requires a tube as well. I am now waiting for the camera to arrive before I order these accessories as I made the mistake of buying accessories for the G1X even before I had fully tested it and now I am saddled with some items which won't fit the G15.

Anyway I am going to look on the bright side of things and hope you intended second purchase for the G1X goes well for you. Keep us posted anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                          ...accessories for the G1X even before I had fully tested it and now I am saddled with some items which won't fit the G15.
                          CAn I ask what accessories you bought, and if you still have them?

Comment

Roberto,

The accessories I have bought but not yet received are (i) a lenshood (ii) filter adaptor but these have been despatched by the seller. I also got a self opening and closing lens cap which has arrived. This does away with the lens cap provided with the camera. I also got a A4 size printed, nicely ring bound manual, which I find very easy to read. I will send you a PM with details of the accessories I have bought with their relevant part numbers.

Has your G1X arrived?

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                              Roberto,

The accessories I have bought but not yet received are (i) a lenshood (ii) filter adaptor but these have been despatched by the seller. I also got a self opening and closing lens cap which has arrived. This does away with the lens cap provided with the camera. I also got a A4 size printed, nicely ring bound manual, which I find very easy to read. I will send you a PM with details of the accessories I have bought with their relevant part numbers.

Has your G1X arrived?
                              Thanks - PMs replied to...

I brought by G1X back from Australia with me. I haven't had much chance to get out and use it in anger yet - a few quick snaps at my daughter's graduation is about it so far. First impressions are extremely good IQ and I liked the handling - nice and familiar to anyone who's used Canon DSLRs are earlier G models.

The weather's looking good for the bank holiday so I'm hoping to get out Monday and give it a proper go.

Edit: There's a Fuji X100s niggling in the back of my head now as well - but that's another story.......

Comment

Again to round out my OP, I finally decided on the G1X, and after a lot of hassle with the seller (see other posting) I finally have the camera. Now to familiarise myself with it, and enjoy using it, prior to my trip.
                                Quentin

Comment

Working...
                                X