G15 or G16 or G1X or ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G15 or G16 or G1X or ???

I've got the bug to buy another camera. I've got a Canon 60D so I don't want a dSLR. I want a grab and go camera that can still challenge me when I want it to. I was thinking about a G15 but with the G16 almost here and offering some definite advantages with Digic 6 I'm thinking pay the extra and get the G16. Then there's the G1X to consider. I have a Sony HX9V now but would like something a little larger than that. Thanks for any and all constructive commentary.
    G1X
    27.27%
    G15 at now reduced price
    27.27%
    G16
    36.36%
    S120
    0.00%
    Other named in a post
    9.09%

Re: G15 or G16 or G1X or ???

Most people, who have not used it, say bad things about the EOS-M, but I have found it to be a very capable camera, one that will challenge you, but still can use your lenses from your larger DLSR.

The current model is having a fire sale, but with the firmware update makes this a very good camera. In October they are coming up with a updated model.

Tom

Comment

I think if I were going to consider the EOS-M I'd probably just think about either the T5i or SL1.

Comment

I have only recently acquired a G1X, and due to other priorities have only tested it here at home.
        However, first impressions are excellent for what I bought it for - as a sophisticated but grab and go camera as well. I have previously had both G9 and G11, and it is a great improvement to both.
        IMHO a worthy alternative to and supplement to my DSLRs.
        Quentin

Comment

A 100D would make more sense as the lens from the 60D will fit. Personally I find take photos using a rear screen doesn't work as it is much harder to keep the camera still.
          ef-r

Comment

I would agree with Brian about the 100D ... also having recently played with one ... it really is quite small (cf conventional DSLR).

Also the EOS-M's bad press may be down to many things (cf 7D's bad press ... I owned one and any problems were down to me!) and that doesn't mean its a bad camera. Tom (and others) get some stunning results out of theirs. If the M's replacement has an optical viewfinder that will be welcome ... if it has an EVF that also will please some.

As goes the G series ... I replaced my G10 with the diminutive Sony RX100 ... and no regrets. The lack of viewfinder ... I manage okay.

Comment

The 100D is a good option but it doesn't serve as a "grab and go" camera IMHO. Yes, one can fit a pancake lens on it and it will be quite small. However, a good compact like the G series has got a zoom factor which is not possible with a 100D + a prime lens like the 50mm or the Pancake 40mm. Of course one can attach a zoom lens to it like the 15mm- 85mm lens but then it becomes bigger and bulkier than a compact. Therefore having considered all the alternatives, I have gone in for the Canon G15 as a complementary camera to my Canon 60D.

I agree fully with Brian that it is not possible to hold the camera steady when using the rear LCD screen. Hence a view finder,preferably an Optical one, is a MUST for me & the Canon G15 has got one (so has the G16 and the G1X).
              Last edited by Nathaniel; 30-08-2013, 09:29.
              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Its got to be between the G1X for its sensor or the G16 for the speed, high speed AF, 9.3fps and f/1.8-2.8 5x zoom lens.
                I have the G12 which is older but still a cracking wee camera.
                I can't fault the Canon G series cameras.

Alan
                Canon 7D...Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L is...Canon EF 300mm f4L is...Canon 1.4x extender MK ll...Canon 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 is usm...Canon 50mm f1.8 stm... speedlite 430 EX11...Canon EOS-M3...18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 is stm...

Comment

I upgraded recently from a G11 to a G1X. The G11 was outstanding, but the deal I got on the G1X was too good to miss and the larger sensor delivers excellent results.

I was put off the G15 (and would be by the G16) by the lack of hinged rear screen. I mostly use the optical viewfinder, but there have been times when having that ability to flip the screen out for a better viewing position has been make or break.

Just to add a spark of confusion to your decision, don't discount the Fuji X-Series either. I have a hankering for the X100s at the moment and it's not going away anytime soon... ;)

Comment

I picked up a G15 today.

Comment

GX7 (except I have a GH3 so won't be buying one) or EP5+VF4.
                      Much faster focus.
                      Better movies.
                      Better sensor performance.
                      etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X