Canon G15- Accesoories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon G15- Accesoories

I note that elsewhere on the forum members are discussing camera/lens WEIGHT issues, on the "heavier side" with the Rapide neck strap & similar. I am going in the reverse direction with reducing camera/lens weight.Age and health matters have caught up with me. To this end I have bought a Canon G15 and seriously thinking of using this not only as a very good compact but as a "travel" camera as well, without taking my DSLR and associated lenses.

I would therefore like to ask the members whether they have invested in filters,lenshoods and a teleconverter to their G15 which gives it a greater zooming distance than the built in 140mm zoom. The teleconvertor, I will take with me on trips abroad, but will only be used when I need a better zoom than the 140mm. This will also stop me from buying a bridge camera or a travelling all purpose zoom like the Sigma 15- 250mm for my 60D.

Many thanks

Nathaniel
    Last edited by Nathaniel; 06-09-2013, 16:07.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Canon G15- Accesoories

Worth a read:

Plus: http://www.lensmateonline.com/G15macrosamples.php

Back when I had a G7 I had one of their filter adapters plus Raynox and Canon close-up lenses. It seems they are selling a third-party one now. Changing times I guess...

Comment

Thanks Dr.Jon for the info.

Has any member used these accessories with their G15? If so, how was the IQ of the images?

P.S- after looking more closely at the teleconvertor for the G15 I have decided NOT to buy one as (i) as the camera becomes a bit too bulky for the purpose I have in mind (ii) it must be used only at maximum telephoto zoom. so I am only getting a filter adaptor to use filters on the lens.
      Last edited by Nathaniel; 07-09-2013, 10:49.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Hello Nat,
        I can recommend the Canon FA-DC58D Filter Adapter.
        I use it on my G12 for attaching filters when on holiday where it is much brighter and use a polariser filter.
        It also keeps dust away from the lens opening.
        You can just attach a lens cap over the filter and leave the adapter on the camera all the time.

Alan
        Canon 7D...Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L is...Canon EF 300mm f4L is...Canon 1.4x extender MK ll...Canon 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 is usm...Canon 50mm f1.8 stm... speedlite 430 EX11...Canon EOS-M3...18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 is stm...

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Campbell View Post
          Hello Nat,
          I can recommend the Canon FA-DC58D Filter Adapter.
          I use it on my G12 for attaching filters when on holiday where it is much brighter and use a polariser filter.
          It also keeps dust away from the lens opening.
          You can just attach a lens cap over the filter and leave the adapter on the camera all the time.

Alan
          Same here Nat-Alan is spot on. You can get the attachment on ebay for a couple of quid from HK

Comment

Thanks Alun and Robin. Yes, I have ordered the filter adaptor Via ebay. I am aware that the use of a polariser cuts out all unwanted glare.

Comment

Nat
              I have acquired a filter adapter (and filter) for my G1X. However, a slight snag which may affect the G15 too, if the adapter and/or filter is attached to the lens it appears to be impossible to fit the lens hood! In my opinion, the lens hood is the most useful of these accessories for general use, so this design flaw presents problems if I wish to use a filter (protective or polarising) as well. And of course if I have attached a new piece of glass in front of the lens, a lens hood is even more vital to minimise any flare!
              Quentin

Comment

Quentin, thanks for the info. I was aware of this as it is stated in the manual. The manual for your G1X states it on p165 (I think) that you cannot fit the lenshood with the filter adaptor in place. This is the same for my G15. However, I am sure one get round this problem by getting a 58mm thread screw on lenshood which would then nicely screw into the filter adaptor's screw threads. The construction of the lens hood for both the G15 and G1X are made in such a way that they GRIP or click on to the lens.

I also fit a UV filter as permanent protection to my lens but then I screw on other filters on to the filter thread of the UV filter with no problem or distortion of my images- although most manuals state that you should not do this, saying that the extra filter might fall off etc. But this has never happened to me. If at all I would insert a polariser filter to the already attached UV filter with no ill effects, and remove the polariser if I am using say a ND filter- also on top of the UV filter.

I hope this helps.

Nat.

Comment

Working...
                X