Exploring North Wales- Caernafon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exploring North Wales- Caernafon

I always had in mind to re-visit Caernafon after my first visit in 1960's when I went see Prince Charles being invested as Prince of Wales. So I took my chance when the weather was good last week. All pics taken with the G15 with either TV or P mode with auto ISO and auto WB.

(i) The Castle

(a)

(b)

(ii)Quay side

(a)

(b)

(iii) Town and market day.

(a)

(b)
    Last edited by Nathaniel; 01-10-2013, 12:44.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Exploring North Wales- Caernafon

Third one for me. Rather like the boats on the river.
    Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
    Di's Flickr

Comment

I like the boats as well and the long shot of the market. Nat - I can just vaguely remember the investiture of Charles as a school kid - possibly one of the first things I saw in colour on tv ? And only a few months after my first tv memory - getting dragged out of bed to see Neil Armstrong step on to the moon.

Funny how pretty much any collection of boats, pretty much always enhances an image whereas almost any car park (Goodwood Revival excepted) will just wreck it. BTW that's not a criticism of your first shot Nat - you can hardly avoid it to get a shot of the castle. While I'm in rant mode (sorry) why are we so bad at "street furniture" ? That street light in front of the castle is just an eyesore which I'm sure could be done much more sympathetically. Apart from that it looks like an interesting place to visit.

Scott
      Scott

500px flickr

Comment

Thanks Di and Scott for your comments. Much appreciated. re the car park it is almost impossible to get a decent shot of the castle as it is so very big- unless of course from a helicopter or an airship. Agree the car park is a no go but I did not want to clone everything out as then it would have been a bit strange. yes, I could clone out the street light infront of the castle but here again I did walk round and round the castle to get a better picture but it just wasn't possible as the castle sprawls the centre centre or the centre centre has been "built" around the castle.

Re the investiture I did post a whole series I think last year under people and places in the main EOS forum thread. If you care to delve in there you will see a young prince charles, the Queen, The Queen mother, Princess Margaret and others. These were originally taken as slides which I then scanned via my scanner and posted them here for all members to see. Just shows you Scott that you were a "small boy" then when I was a "young man"!
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Whoops I just re-read my post and it could be construed differently to how I intended it. When I was banging on about the street light and asked "why are we" - the "we" was meant to indicate the town planners among us (not me I hasten to add) and so by a more sympathetic solution I meant that less intrusive lighting system should have been installed by the town planners. What I definitely did not intend was it so sound like I was lecturing you to clone it out Nat. I would never intentionally say anything like that - but I can see from my post that it might be interpreted that way. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

And yes I would have been just starting my second year at primary school then (and looking forward to Apollo 12) so definitely a small boy.
          Scott

500px flickr

Comment

Scott, please rest at ease. I don't misunderstand people easily and I really value opinions other than Mine of course. I take your point seriously and perhaps this is where our good Prince Charles should put/have put his mighty boot in. Caernafon itself is a big city and as this was my first re-visit after many years, I thought to myself, like you, that the city could have been better planned by the powers be. I just thought that the city had been allowed to develop willy nilly around the magnificient castle. In my travels around North Wales, I have seen better planned cities/towns for instance Llandudno to just mention one out of several.

Comment

Another great set Nat.
              Where did you find the blue sky?
              I also like the boats at the quayside, nice colours, reflections etc.. but all are great.
              Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
              Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Interestingly Ashford in Kent tried improivng their streetlighting, and came in for an awful lot of stick! Linky
                Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Thanks Stephen, SJP. The blue sky kept on coming and going and I have only posted those pics with a decent sky. Several pics were binned as the sky looked "washed out" although it was how it looked at times. It was a dry day alright.

I think ,SJP,the street lights in Ashford looks a real mess judging from the link you have given.

Comment

Yes Nat they do,and not to mention the cost.... quote "Normal street lights cost £1,000 each. But there is outrage after it emerged every one of these state-of-the-art lights in Ashford sets the taxpayer back seven times that amount" .unquote .
                    [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

I notice that when these sort of things are uncovered, either by the media or a local person/staff member with common sense that the usual response by council/government/management is to be "outraged" and "they didn't know the cost". If I ran my budget like that I would be in financial trouble in no time but these air-heads seem to find a way to blame it on someone else. Probably our own collective fault to some degree because we allow them to stay in these positions.
                      Scott

500px flickr

Comment

The problem is largely two fold (i) it is not their own money and therefore the powers be don't bother; if it was their own money it would be a different story (ii) people don't see the after effects of their creations until it is done and dusted. (Perhaps I too am to be blamed here in that I did not notice how montrous some of the our cities were till I took the pics and saw them on my computer). The money wasted on useless IT and computer equipment bought for the NHS and then discarded is a case in point.

Anyway we all live and learn- I hope so, and I trust the present younger generation will think far ahead with public money.

Comment

Another fine set Nat, you have been busy.

Bill.
                          7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Thanks Bill. Another carrot for you to visit these parts. Base yourself in Anglessey- a mid point sort of and most areas are accessible from there.

Comment

Working...
                            X