Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coming upstairs

Another of those moments when it pays to have a pocket compact available -

At the Hunterian Museum in London (in the Royal College of Surgeons and full of gory medical and biological specimens) I saw this scene from the top floor -

Just liked it.

Would not have had time to un-bag the 7D, but did have time to pull out the little Ixus.

Cheers, Chris.
    Just chuggin' along.

Re: Coming upstairs

That's very nice Chris, caught well.

Those two people make it for me, as they're both wearing red, so balance the shot nicely. I like how you've used the flatter banister to provide the lower border, but equally a shot from a more obscure angle could work quite well here too.

I'd clone out the white blob on the bottom right step, as once seen, it keeps drawing your eye!

Nice one, Mike.
    flickr
    5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

What's the blue ring in the bottom centre ?.
      [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

A bit of cloning mastery on the bottom figure and you'd have the look of a extreme time lapse.

Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
        Di's Flickr

Comment

Tom

Comment

Well spotted Chris, great image
            Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
            Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Very nice indeed. You are a brave man to have climbed all the way up- if you did or is there a lift service available.
              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

A nice staircase Chris and well worth capturing but with this sort of shot I prefer to shoot without people so you can focus on the lines of the subject and with the slowish shutter speed people are going to be a bit oof anyway.

The blue ring at the bottom is a bit of a distraction - I would have tried to clone it out

Stan
                Last edited by Stan; 10-10-2013, 10:05.
                Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Chris J View Post
                  Would not have had time to un-bag the 7D
                  mmm, I like the picture, Chris, and I sit between Stan and Mike regarding the people in that I would have waited for the upper one to have moved out if sight, but what I really want to know is why it would take so long to get your 7D out?? It should be strapped to your hand!

Even if it wasn't, the stairs weren't going anywhere :-)

Anyway, nice shot as it is for sure. But I have to be honest and as a huge Canon fan I hate to say it, Canon had better pull its socks up in the compact race, e.g. Olympus OMD-EM1 is streets ahead of anything Canon is offering in this genre.

Andy

Comment

Thanks all.

Stan/Wayne - the blue ring was some kind of attachment on the top bannister rail - the one I was leaning over. Don't know what it was. I haven't got - to my shame and I must do something about it - the skill to use something like PS to clone things out, but I agree - it should go. Likewise, Mike, the bit of broken step that gives the white blob should go.

And, Andy - was spending a few days in London with the camera bag also containing brolly, folded coat, A-Z etc, and being in a learned, posh museum I didn't feel it right to be clicking away with a big DSLR, and to excavate down to camera level for a "grab shot" - well, the moment would have passed. But, the little Ixus (one of the smallest, and one with an optical viewfinder) lives in a shirt pocket and is out and ready in 3 seconds - I've just timed it!!

I'm not sure that the image would take a lot of intervention, but just liked the look of it. And if I had been able to use time-lapse and get the same person at different levels, well, I might feel differently.

And, Nat - yes, used those stairs. Am of the age were "use it or lose it" is the motto, and that includes leg muscles.....

Cheers, Chris.
                    Just chuggin' along.

Comment

Working...
                    X