G1X Mk ll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G1X Mk ll

Anyone had any experience of this yet they would like to share? I have an ageing G11 and plan to replace it with a compact with a larger sensor, hence my interest in the G1X Mkll. But most reviews rate it poorly especially compared to the similarly priced Sony RX100 Mklll. Main drawbacks are slow shutter response, dramatically reduced continuous frame rate when shooting RAW (1 fps approx.), poor noise performance in RAW compared to jpeg and very poor video. Good points are the zoom range, bokeh, handling, touch screen.

Like all of us here, I am a committed Canon fan, but I find it difficult to find a reason not the buy the Sony.

Re: G1X Mk ll

I would go for the Canon G15 or G16. Excellent compacts. I have posted some pics on this very thread from my G15
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

It depends on how much reach you want, the RX100 II only goes to 70mm equiv (I have a RX100 mk 1, which replaced an old Canon G-series, BTW). Plus how much you want an (electronic) viewfinder. I'd say also consider some really small ILCs like the Panasonic GM1 (a GM2 might be about to appear) and the Sony Alpha 5100. There's also the Samsung NX Mini.

Compare unlimited number of cameras with lenses, see how compact or bulky a camera is and sort by height, width, depth and weight.

CameraSize don't have the Sony 5100 (although the 6000 is miles better, except I'd take the 16-70 lens, which they also don't have). Scroll to the right and see I had some fun adding cameras... ah, the order seems to have got a bit screwed, I started with the Canon, ho hum...

Comment

Have to agree with Jon regarding the Sony RX lineage (mine superseded my Canon G10)... but I sadly lost my RX100 Mk 1 ... but it was an incredible little camera.

Comment

I had mine knocked out of my hand over concrete pavement, cost £230 to repair :-(

Comment

Working...
          X