Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Powershot G7 X II contradiction in images displayed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powershot G7 X II contradiction in images displayed.

I have recently purchased a Powershot G7 X Mark II.
    I have noticed that at minimum focal length (8.8) one piece of software ,Cyberlink Photo Director, (the left in the attached image) shows more than can be seen on the camera’s screen, or can be seen in DPP or Zoner. I haven’t yet managed to find a CR2 codec that works.

Also, the image that shows ‘more’ than the others shows barrel distortion and vigenetting. I just wonder what’s going on here, it must mean that the lens is seeing more than the camera is showing.

It’s probably more of a curiosity interest, but I would like to know the answer.
    Attached Files

Re: Powershot G7 X II contradiction in images displayed.

Looking at your attached image Cyberlink photo director appears to be reading the uncorrected sensor data. In common with a lot of modern compacts I suspect the G7X uses rather more digital image optimisation than Canon might admit to. The image you see on the back of the camera is one that has been processed by the camera with the corrections included. Saved as a JPEG you would only get the corrected image.

When you open the raw CR2 file in DPP it automatically adds the lens corrections as part of the conversion procedure, presumably Zoner (whatever that is) does the same and doubtless Adobe Camera RAW would do something similar. I would imagine the Cyberlink program hasn't been updated for this particular model as yet and so is showing the data as best it can and without optimisation.
    Last edited by El Sid; 17-05-2016, 13:05.
    Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Re: Powershot G7 X II contradiction in images displayed.

Thanks for clear explanation!

Comment

Working...
      X