Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tintern Turntable in mono

From last year in Wales.

The Old Station in Tintern (about a mile from the abbey) hosts not only an excellent cafe but also a minuture railway. I did think, though, that the geometric shapes of the infrastructure far more interesting than the 'lawnmower on bogies' that had been trundling back and forth. It cried out for the Silver Efex treatment so that's what it got:

Tintern Turntable by John Leah, on Flickr

Cheers,
    John

Re: Tintern Turntable in mono

interesting shot and does work well in B&W

it does look like it needs leveling, or was this the look you were going for?
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Thanks Ian.

I did consider that but it cropped the left side of the circle and the track leading into the distance became less of a diagonal so I think, on balance, yes, that is the look I was going for

Cheers,
      John

Comment

Good mono conversion but it is a bit oversharp of is that part of the Nik pre set

stan
        Last edited by Stan; 01-06-2016, 16:15.
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

Thanks Stan

I'm using Silver Efex Pro 2 for my conversion experiments because it was free. I have used LR but the Silver Efex presets are a whole lot simpler even though the results are falling short of what I used to achieve 'back in the day' when processing my own B&W. But as these are, as I said, 'experiments' I don't want to invest in expensive software but is there anything else free or nearly free that I could try?

Cheers,
          John

Comment

I've still got Silver Efex installed and its a good little converter that even now still use, although since moving to Tonality its in a different league
            :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I'm using Silver Efex Pro 2 for my conversion experiments because it was free.
              I use it too but find sometimes you have to b a bit careful with it. What I am tending to do is in photoshop make a duplicate layer of the colour image and make a basic mono conversion of one layer and then a Nik conversion of the other layer and then putting the Nik layer on the top of the pile, vary its opacity till I get the look I like

stan
              Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
              flickr

Comment

Thanks Stan, I'll try that. It's the kind of clever technique you only become aware of via a forum like this

Cheers,
                John

Comment

It's a nice conversion John. It's good to use the presets when you 1st start, but the power of Silver efex is that you have full control. I have both silver and tonality and find the with the control points in silver efex I have better control over dodging and burning.

Tom

Comment

Thanks Tom I've found some online tutorials that I'll go through and that will help understand what the adjustments are doing.

Cheers,
                    John

Comment

Working...
                    X