Louvre Staircase in mono

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Louvre Staircase in mono

For those who have ever wondered what lies below the glass pyramid it's this glorious staircase (and a lift that rises out of the floor at its centre):

Louvre, Paris by John Leah, on Flickr

With so much below ground level it's easy to see why the authorities took so seriously the risk of the Seine flooding that they closed the museum and moved all they could to upper levels.

Cheers,
    John

Re: Louvre Staircase in mono

love the shot and the conversion John, but is it oversharpened - something just doesn't look right
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Thanks Ian. I'll have a look at it but suspect it's the result of a cropped image from a 4MP G2 that doesn't leave too many pixels to work with

Is there a way to reload a previously edited image back into Silver Efex without having to start again?

Cheers,
      John

Comment

that's a stunning staircase just a shame about the sharpening

Is there a way to reload a previously edited image back into Silver Efex without having to start again
        I doubt it but if there is I would like to know as well
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

Lovely staircase and it works well in BW.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
            Thanks Ian. I'll have a look at it but suspect it's the result of a cropped image from a 4MP G2 that doesn't leave too many pixels to work with

Is there a way to reload a previously edited image back into Silver Efex without having to start again?

Cheers,
            John
            trade off with having a smaller camera with you I suppose - and no you can't load an image back, you have to start again - hope you've got a good memory :)

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

A very interesting image. Well suited to black and white conversion - I agree you need to look again at the way it was processed and sharpened - if you used silver Effex try turning down to detail extraction slider a touch. Otherwise a great shot.
              As an aside - if you ever have the chance to go again try taking ten or so shots from exactly the same point over a five minute period. You can realign them again if you did t use a tripod and it is possible to retain the stationary parts of the image and remove objects that have moved to end up with a clean, no people, shot.
              James

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
              James Boardman Woodend
              www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Thanks for the constructive feedback folks, all appreciated.

I couldn't find a way to reopen a Silver image so have started again and, while I can't guarantee I used the same basic preset it looked close so I used that with only a slight gain in contrast, reduction in structure and no attempt to sharpen when back in LR.

It's now a bit soft but 1/50th handheld and lots of moving people that's inevitable. It started as 4mp but cropped and Silver reports a mere 2.4mp remaining so really a bit of an ask.

Anyway, here's the reworked image:

IMG_3280-Edit-3-Edit by John Leah, on Flickr

Comment

the new edit works much better John

Comment

Thanks Ian

Cheers,
                    John

Comment

Well done again John

Tom

Comment

Thanks Tom

Cheers,
                        John

Comment

It's very well composed and loads better for the second upload, nice shot John
                          Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Thanks Alan

Cheers,
                            John

Comment

Working...
                            X