Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which canon compact point n shoot?

Hi all.

I have a Canon EOS 7D but looking for a Canon Point n Shoot compact camera.

I wondered what people's recommendations were?

Cheers
    Kind Regards

Tony in Rotherham.

Canon EOS 60D DSLR | Canon Powershot SX230 HS |
    Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens | Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens |
    Canon 430 EX II Flash | Stofen Diffuser | Epson Photo PX720WD |

Re: Which canon compact point n shoot?

I run a G10 to supplement my 7D (and 40D). The G series are very good ... noise is a problem on my G10 at 400ISO plus but otherwise it's very capable ... it's body is all metal (I think the G11/12 use engineering plastic in places).

As Dan says compare the S series with the G series in a shop.

Comment

Hi
      I would go G12 all the way so easy to use has HD video and takes cracking shots!
      I was on tour with Kylie Minogue at the beginning of this year and below is one of the many shots i took of her with the G12!

Hope it helps

Michael

Comment

Super photograph

Thanks for all info's. Unfortunately out of my budget.

I decided to go with the CANON PowerShot SX230 HS. I managed to buy a display model at nearly half it's original price so fit into my budget nicely.

Thanks again for your time guys
        Cheers
        Kind Regards

Tony in Rotherham.

Canon EOS 60D DSLR | Canon Powershot SX230 HS |
        Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens | Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens |
        Canon 430 EX II Flash | Stofen Diffuser | Epson Photo PX720WD |

Comment

You are a lucky man to go on tour with Kylie.M; What was your role- Manager?
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

What do members think about the Canon Powershot SX30? I am looking for a reasonably priced "Compact" to take with me when I don't wish to cart my DSLR's- mainly to concerts,parties and similar.
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Nat - have you seen the size of the SX30 ... not really compact per se. The 35x zoom may have appeal but reviews I've read suggest that IQ suffers because of this mega zoom. Pricewise it's up there with the G series.

If you need something compact and light ... wait until October and look at the Canon IXUS 1100HS ... that might better fill your desire.

Comment

Thanks. I have not seen the camera but pricewise I can get it for around £260!!!! I will wait. No hurry at all.
                I am much impressed by your walking tour photos. I wouldn't and couldn't carry the sort of weight you cart around and it is very nice of you to share your pics- much to my ENVY!

Comment

Nathaniel, I wanted a small P&S to keep in the glovebox of my car and went for the IXUS 210 which has been pretty good. Looking at the spec of the IXUS 1100HS as suggested by MX5 it is similar just the next generation on.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                    Thanks. I have not seen the camera but pricewise I can get it for around £260!!!! I will wait. No hurry at all.
                    I am much impressed by your walking tour photos. I wouldn't and couldn't carry the sort of weight you cart around and it is very nice of you to share your pics- much to my ENVY!
                    Nat - People often wonder what's in my Osprey (a very good brand of walkers backpack) ... it weighs in at 20kg when I start (fluids weigh a bit). Quite often I'm really wanting more reach than the 17-40L can provide (case in point was both Sunday and Monday) ... so a 55-250 Mark II is being considered. Would like the 70-300L but just don't the room in my pockets so a 55-250 it will likely be. I still carry an Olympus u8000 because its water and shock proof ... but to be honest the IQ isn't that good. My G10 being much much better. No plans to upgrade my G10 it still cuts the mustard as a PandS. But my old 40D with the 17-40L yields much better result which is why I carry it up mountains, down scrambles, across streams etc.

Comment

Nathaniel,
                      Just bought the IXUS 220HS for the "budding photographer" (or at least she says she wants to become one) for recent birthday and have been amazed at it's capabilities and quality. Also seems to be able to withstand "teenage abuse" so should be a safe bet in your trusty hands.

David
                      David

Comment

Thank you ALL for the good advice. I will look into a compact as well since I am defintitely off to Canada last week in Sept- family, Rockies, Niagra falls etc etc. I find a compact is unobstrusive and I have the Fron Male Voice choir coming to my part of the world on 14th Sept.Also quite a lot of events in the St.Asaph Cathedral as well up till I go away.
                        The only thing with compacts is I still like the hold of DSLR type bodies. I sold my old Olympus bridge camera which was lightweight and quite handy.

Comment

One more final question. What do members think about the Powershot SX130? It has a DIGIC 4 processer etc. I will then make up my mind.

P.S (5th Sept). After going through several reviews and threads I have bought the SX130. Quite light and fits my jacket pocket when I am at concerts and similar.
                          Last edited by Nathaniel; 05-09-2011, 17:52.

Comment

Working...
                          X