G12 or Fuji X10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G12 or Fuji X10

Before Christmas I had made my mind up on purchasing a Canon G12 in the new year, wanted a top range point and shoot to carry around when I did not want to lug all my EOS gear about. Now a lot of people are telling me go for the Fuji X10, far superior than the
    G12, a lot of dealers I have spoken to have said go for the Fuji, even the Canon Dealers, price wise not much difference, so I don't think they are advising me to go for the one that is far mor exspensive, only £25 difference.
    Would like your views.

Regards
    John

Re: G12 or Fuji X10

John, just been reading up on these, and the G1X (see other thread).

Currently on Amazon you can get the G12 for just over £330 with postage, which seems a bargain. The X10 is £425, so nearly £100 more. Not sure it's a "third" better that the G12.

Doh - decisions, decisions!!
    “If you're gonna be a maniac, pyro's not a good maniac.” Larry David
    "Go ahead and play The Blues if it'll make you happy". Homer J. Simpson
    "War, children, it's just a shot away... Love, sister, it's just a kiss away". Mick Jagger & Keith Richards
    "I was in the band, ok. The girls were pretty interested, you know, with the guitar. They liked that.” Larry David

EOS 5D, 24-105L, 430EXII, G11

Comment

Really depends on what you want to do and what other kit you have. If you have some EX flash guns, off camera cords, cable release, etc, the G will allow you to use all of those items without any problem. I do a lot of macro and flash work with my G and using my existing kit was a big issue for me. I also have adaptor tubes and supplementary lenses so I can take the lens down to 21mm, use an under water housing, etc. The X10 is a great, feature rich camera and is beautifully built - only you know what you want to do with your camera. Small P/S cameras have their limitations, just as do large format DSLRs, there is no perfect camera that does it all - each has characteristics that people use and look for in a system. If you just want a simple but highly sophisticated camera they will both do the job and you will be more than happy with the results, it then comes down to the ergonomics, controls and how they fit the hand. My only problem with the G11/12 is that all the small buttons on the back are far too easy to press with the palm of your hand and some of the control buttons are a bit too small and fiddly, especially if you have big hands - but you learn to live with it. I can't really comment on the Fuji but having had a quick play at a Photo Show it was very nice and a camera I could easily see my self using - the choice is yours...

Comment

The obvious difference between the two is that the X10's lens does not hide itself like the one on the G12 nor does it has a flip lcd like the G12.

I got SWMBO a G12 for Christmas and as John has said the ability to use the Canon flash on the hotshoe. If you want the G12 as a handy camera the G12 fits the bill - and has sufficient quality - shooting in RAW and processing through DPP. Cheap at the price at the moment.

Would be interesting to see a comparison between the G1X and the X10 - I suspect the G1X would nudge ahead due to it being the newer technology as you would expect. Whatever you buy there will always be a better one round the corner
        ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
          Whatever you buy there will always be a better one round the corner
          Great point Brian. We do get a bit obsessed, I think, with having the latest gear.

The fact is, when it was released the 10D (for example) was raved about and took great pictures. It still does. Just because it's been superseded by the 20D, 30D, 40D, etc, etc doesn't mean it because a "bad" camera overnight. Each of those other "upgrades" may have added something (larger sensor, bigger viewing screen, more metering/focussing points, etc), and I'm not saying those are not valid updates, but it is still capable of taking a picture that can be printed to A3.

It's the same (if not worse) in the compact market - especially the "high-end" compacts like the Canon G series - with the possible exception of the G10 which, for me, was a step too far in terms of number of pixels crammed onto the sensor. It still takes great shots in daylight at low ISOs though.

I've been looking at a G12 (I have the G11, but my daughter's "borrowed " it for Uni, and I wonder if I'll ever see it again ) and the prices now seem to have taken a dip with the announcement of the G1X. I liked the look of the Fuji X1000 when it came out, but damn it's pricey, so the X10 looks really good value. But for all the reason mentioned above - I like the flip-out screen and I like that I can use my Speedlight on it - the Canon's looking favourite for me (G12, not G1X, which I just can't justify).
          "War, children, it's just a shot away... Love, sister, it's just a kiss away". Mick Jagger & Keith Richards
          "I was in the band, ok. The girls were pretty interested, you know, with the guitar. They liked that.” Larry David

Comment

Thanks guys for your views. Would it be right that the menu on the G12 would be similar set up to that of my EOS 50D, thus making it a better option over the Fuji ( getting your head round an other manufacturers menu!) As I stated the reason I wanted a top quality point and shoot, is the times I just want to take out a camera, not my 50D'S with those excellent quality lense, perfect for the times set aside for photography, it's the time you just pop out and want to take a camera, I do want the quality to print to 11x14 for club competitions though!

John

Comment

Similar terminology but a different menu structure.
              ef-r

Comment

John D
                I would say from personal experience that there are definite advantages in remaining with the one manufacturer (i.e. Canon), as although the menus do differ between the G series and the EOS series, there is a commonality running through them.
                Quentin

Comment

Originally posted by Quentin View Post
                  John D
                  I would say from personal experience that there are definite advantages in remaining with the one manufacturer (i.e. Canon), as although the menus do differ between the G series and the EOS series, there is a commonality running through them.
                  Quentin
                  Agree. The controls will feel very familiar.

Comment

(Some thoughts, slightly belatedly.) I think the X10 is an impressive bit of kit and would take one over a G12, although they do have a sensor issue to bottom out in firmware (white circles) so I'd follow that for a while (seems to be pretty rare in practice). The G12 is getting on a bit and there are a lot of alternatives now. I played with an X10 at the Societies show last week, it's cool but a little bigger than a G12.

At these price points if you find yourself getting dragged upwards cost-wise you do have to watch out for the CSCs (EVIL, Mirrorless, etc.), as they have much larger sensors so can give a significant quality boost, but at a small size increase, so the question of how much is too much (on both counts, size/cost) comes up. In the £400s I'm not sure I'd go for a Nikon J1, but if the V1 was at that price point... um, I'd stick to micro43, but if I didn't have the lenses, then maybe. Oh, Amazon have the NEX 5n at £479 with a kit lens. Bulky, but same sensor as the Nikon D7000.

If you really want Compact the S100 is smaller than the G12, has a better sensor and has Digic 5.

Comment

Thanks Dr Jon for your reply, I have decided to stick with the Canon G12 what clinched it for me was the flexable screen, handy for low shooting and street sceans, being able to use my Canon accessories,ie flash gun, and I read a good article on Andy Rouse's web site, he uses one and rates it, some good images produce from it from him, not wildlife, just snaps!

Comment

Working...
                      X