What spec of PC do you use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What spec of PC do you use

Afternoon, I'm looking at upgrading to a new PC and was wondering what specifications other forum members PC's are and how you feel they perform. I don't want it to be dragging it's heels when processing images as I have at present. Wasting a lot of time making coffee instead of Photoshopping. My camera is a 550D shooting raw so as you'll know the file sizes are around 25Mb. I also wish to utilise the full HD capability of the camera. My first thoughts were of a PC with an i5 processor, at least 8Gb ram with capcity to be increased to around 16Gb in the future. Do I consider a dedicated graphics card? HDD size isn't an issue as I store music, photos & video on seperate external portable usb drives. I would anticipate using Windows 7 as the OS and at present use Photoshop CS3 and lightroom 2 but have considered upgrading to CS4 or 5 and lightroom 4? although these have more than I really need, I can't justify moving all the way to CS6 as apart from being resource hungry like most of us I probably wouldn't use the majority of functions it provides. Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

Re: What spec of PC do you use

HDD size isn't an issue
    Well it is an issue because where is your O/S and progs going to reside?
    Always remember that a computer will only run as fast as it's slowest component.
    8Gb of memory means that you'll be using a 64bit O/S.
    The motherboard is probably the most important component of any computer; because everything plugs in to it.

I use an i7 processor in an Asus Sabertooth motherboard.
    I also use a SSD SATA3 hard drive for the O/S and additional SATA3 hard drives internally.
    I also use a fast Graphics card that can handle HD and everything else I throw at it.
    I also have plenty of Corsair DDR3 memory.
    All of a high-spec and self-built.
    Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
    Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

I use an i7 processor in an Asus x58 (socket 1366) Mobo Overclocked to 3.5 GHz
      SSD SATA3 for boot and freq used programs
      also 4 Internal Sata HDD (Around 3TB)
      pallit 460 GTX O'clocked Graphics card
      12 Gigs Corsair DDR3 ram
      System is liquid cooled and built by myself
      Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

Originally posted by 2Beers View Post
        I use an i7 processor in an Asus x58 (socket 1366) Mobo Overclocked to 3.5 GHz
        SSD SATA3 for boot and freq used programs
        also 4 Internal Sata HDD (Around 3TB)
        pallit 460 GTX O'clocked Graphics card
        12 Gigs Corsair DDR3 ram
        System is liquid cooled and built by myself
        You work in IT or what?

Mike
        flickr
        5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Building computers is just like building with Lego. I lost interest in building my own 20 years ago (first one was a MK14). Just bought COTS boxes since.

Comment

Originally posted by mikep View Post
            You work in IT or what?

Mike
            Used to worked for 25yrs in oil industry retired at 55 and spent 10 yrs in pcworld repairing pc's now retired completely
            Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

All versions of Photoshop are resource hungry.

Suggestions for building the ultimate Photoshop system

8gb ram minimum 16gb better 32gb best if your mb supports it(hi-performance ram)
              SSD for ultimate performance for OS and common applications and consider a second as scratch disk purely for Photoshop
              Raid storage for your photos and external backup (USB3, NAS-raid or firewire connected)
              Fast graphics card with 1gb memory
              Minimum quad core processor 6 core better but later versions of PS needed to take advantage of multi-core processors
              Good motherboard from one of the big manufacturers (Gigabyte or Asus) not no-name Chinese
              Windows 7 64bit don't worry about Windows 8
              Other people will recommend a high end MAC and let Apple worry about the spec.

A top-up on your mortgage to pay for it.
              --
              Colin
              http://fotos-espana.com
              http://macameraclub.com
              http://turnspain.com

Comment

As I wanted a PC that I hope will last me for a few years when I got my new one a few months ago I went with the following spec. It runs LR4 and PS6 plus Elements 10.

i7-3960X (3.3GHz) 6 core processor
                ASUS P9X79 Pro motherboard
                32GB Kingston Quad-DDR3 1600MHz memory
                2GB NVIDA Geforce GTX 560 video card
                240Gb 520 series SSD drive for OS and main programs
                2 x 3TB WD30EZRX, SATA 6 internal drives for storage.

I also backup my data to external drives

I don't know what monitor you are using but if you are building a high spec PC for photography purposes don't scimp on the quality of monitor.

Comment

Working...
                X