Backing up your PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backing up your PC

I have recently had to look around for an external disk to back up everything on my PC and I found what I think is ideal.
    Its called - My Book Essential, it has a 1Tb hard disk and once connected to your PC backs up automatically.
    My flickr http://flic.kr/ps/2g5eDa
    © JH Foto
    The word photography derives from the Greek φωτός (phōtos), genitive of φῶς (phōs), "light" and γραφή (graphé)

Re: Backing up your PC

Is there a link, that would be useful for people to see what you're looking at!

I use a WD Passport drive (500GB), and some FREE software from MS - Sync Toy. Very good backup software allowing different backup options, and ability to define separate back up 'sets', so I don't have to backup everything all at once.

Cheers, Mike.
    flickr
    5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

You will find it on Maplins website..............
      © JH Foto
      The word photography derives from the Greek φωτός (phōtos), genitive of φῶς (phōs), "light" and γραφή (graphé)

Comment

I having been using a WD My Book as a secondary backup for many years (the primary being an IOMEGA) ... the tertiary another IOMEGA.

Nice thing about the MyBook is a techy like me can easily use PuTTY to gain access to its inner workings ... both the MyBook and Iomega NAS boxes run variants of Unix. The Iomega's provide two print server enabled USB ports for me (so I can network my Pixma).

Another vote for SyncToy (for Windows users only).

Seriously thinking about a 'real' (multibay NAS box) solution ... something like the Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ V2

Comment

Backing up your PC

Haven't come across SyncToy! Is it any good? The software I'm using is a bit clunky (but free)

After having at least three HDD failures over the years, I tend to backup twice, once to a external drive using good old fashioned copy/paste for all my pictures and another separate backup to a second external HDD using backup software (EasUs Backup) of my whole hard disc.
          Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Its from Microsoft and is actually okay.

Comment

Originally posted by mikep View Post
              Is there a link, that would be useful for people to see what you're looking at!
              Here's the link Mike (Maplin)

The 3TB version is a great price at Amazon (link)
              Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
              Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post
                I having been using a WD My Book as a secondary backup for many years (the primary being an IOMEGA) ... the tertiary another IOMEGA.

Nice thing about the MyBook is a techy like me can easily use PuTTY to gain access to its inner workings ... both the MyBook and Iomega NAS boxes run variants of Unix. The Iomega's provide two print server enabled USB ports for me (so I can network my Pixma).

Another vote for SyncToy (for Windows users only).

Seriously thinking about a 'real' (multibay NAS box) solution ... something like the Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ V2
                I can honestly say, I havent a clue what you are talking about, but it sounds great - should I get one?

Comment

Originally posted by hhcanon View Post
                  I can honestly say, I havent a clue what you are talking about, but it sounds great - should I get one?
                  Nah you need two (just ask the cat, he'll know).

Comment

Well worth the £79.99 it backs up all the time automatically once connected to PC, no more worrying about doing the back up manually...
                    © JH Foto

Comment

Originally posted by Bodger View Post
                      http://www.maplin.co.uk/1tb-wd-myboo...d-drive-635971

Well worth the £79.99 it backs up all the time automatically once connected to PC, no more worrying about doing the back up manually...
                      Why pay that price for the 1TB version when you can get the 3TB version for virtually the same price. ?
                      Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                      Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

I would not fill 1Tb if I lived to be 100.....................
                        © JH Foto

Comment

I think my NAS has just under 4TB on it... I'll have to enlarge the USB drive I back it up onto soon, as while the NAS is 6GB (4x2TB) the USB drive is 4TB (2x2TB, but is one of the few that support 3TB drives)...

BTW I use "Image for Windows" to back up my boot drive and "Syncback Pro" for all the others.

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post
                            Nah you need two (just ask the cat, he'll know).
                            Sorry MX...I think even our cat has alzeimers

Comment

And Ive still got no idea what you lot are talking about. I backed everything up to a Buffalo 1TB ext HD and when I looked recently, it was empty. I think the white van with the nurse is comming around soon to take me back home...byeeeee

Comment

Working...
                              X