Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monitor Recommendations

Hi All,

I'm currently using a Samsung SyncMaster 730BF (17in) on my Windows 7 (64 bit) system, and would like to replace it with something larger which offers accurate colour rendition.

Any recommendations?
    Russell
    Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Re: Monitor Recommendations

I'd suggest including the Dell UltraSharp U2713HM on the list. It's 2560x1440 and the company claims that the "U2713HM offers a color gamut of more than 99% sRGB, maximum brightness of 350 cd/m2, grey-to-grey response time of 8ms, a 178/178-degree wide viewing angle, as well as an anti-glare coating.”

Comment

I use one of these BenQ I think its excellent value for money and shows brilliant image quality and colours.

Chris
      EOS 7D, EOS 600D, EFS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II , EFS 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_R View Post
        I use one of these BenQ I think its excellent value for money and shows brilliant image quality and colours.

Chris
        One thing about BenQ it might be good in value for money but it's downside is in screen quality colours

Originally posted by Columbarius View Post
        Hi All,

I'm currently using a Samsung SyncMaster 730BF (17in) on my Windows 7 (64 bit) system, and would like to replace it with something larger which offers accurate colour rendition.

Any recommendations?
        I would go for the Samsung 28" widescreen or the 32" anything lower then these numbers for get it, If you like graphic or photoshop the bigger the screen the better.
        Last edited by Michael.K; 30-01-2013, 18:46.
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelkphotowork/

Comment

Hey Russell.

If you're serious about quality then you should be looking for a high-end IPS panel monitor with wide viewing angles and accurate color reproduction. I have the 22" version of this one HERE no it's not cheap BUT it will last for years and the performance is truly outstanding.

.DAVID.
          Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Thank you all for the advice. Especially for pointing out the IPS technology, of which I was I confess ignorant.

I can't really fit a 27" screen on my desk so I'm going to go for something smaller. Either the 22" (21.5" actually) HP ZR2240W (which I guess is what you have David) currently on offer from HP at £209 or the Dell U2312HM currently available from Amazon at £165.

For obvious reasons I'm tending towards the Dell. I'll report back.
            Russell
            Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

Monitor Recommendations

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS
              Don't waste money on super-expensive monitors because you will not notice the difference.
              I think that depends on what you want to do with it! It's probably akin to saying there's no need for a full-frame DSLR, a compact camera will do the same job.

If you want accurate colour reproduction for proofing prints then expensive monitors which accurately and consistently reproduce faithful colours are probably worthwhile, but I do agree that there seems to be a wealth of half-decent screens available for a reasonable sum which will be sufficient for most mere mortals amongst us.
              Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Working...
              X