Windows 7 does not recognise EOS connected by USB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 7 does not recognise EOS connected by USB

I discovered something interesting today.

On a couple of occasions I've plugged my camera into the USB in order to download some images, only to find that Windows 7 pretended that the camera didn't exist, and I've had to complete a tortuous recovery process in order to get it recognised again.

It happened again today and I decided to dig a little deeper.

I had noticed in passing that the battery indicator on the Canon was showing a low charge. So I switched off the camera, and replaced the battery with a fully charged spare. This time when I connected the camera Windows 7 Device Manager acknowledged that the camera was there, but had a driver error. I uninstalled the driver, removed and then reconnected the camera. Windows went into automatic driver install, and suddenly everything was working perfectly.

It seems that, when a camera with a low battery is connected Windows identifies a "fault" and disables the driver.

I thought I'd post this in case anyone else has a similar problem in the future.

Russell.
    Russell
    Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Re: Windows 7 does not recognise EOS connected by USB

Russell I had something similar a little while ago when trying to use the EOS Utility for tethered shooting but got away with a PC reboot after replacing the camera battery.

Comment

Thanks Muscat, a re-boot didn't fix mine. But it seems likely that the problem is cased by a low battery in the Canon, just how I don't know. Russell
      Russell
      Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

I am guessing that as he camera 'pushes' the data to the PC and takes no power from the PC if the battery is low the signal may not be up to strength and the PC can't interpret it correctly and gets confused.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbarius View Post
          I discovered something interesting today.

On a couple of occasions I've plugged my camera into the USB in order to download some images, only to find that Windows 7 pretended that the camera didn't exist, and I've had to complete a tortuous recovery process in order to get it recognised again.

It happened again today and I decided to dig a little deeper.

I had noticed in passing that the battery indicator on the Canon was showing a low charge. So I switched off the camera, and replaced the battery with a fully charged spare. This time when I connected the camera Windows 7 Device Manager acknowledged that the camera was there, but had a driver error. I uninstalled the driver, removed and then reconnected the camera. Windows went into automatic driver install, and suddenly everything was working perfectly.

It seems that, when a camera with a low battery is connected Windows identifies a "fault" and disables the driver.

I thought I'd post this in case anyone else has a similar problem in the future.

Russell.
          Hello Russell

I sometime use the (EOS Utility) progam that came with the canon camera to upload all the Raw & Jpeg images to my PC But most of the time I use an (SD card reader) to save time it's much faster this way.

So no need to use the USB cable, or worry about battey been low

I use Windows 7 (64Bit)
          Last edited by Michael.K; 20-02-2013, 12:55.
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelkphotowork/

Comment

Working...
          X