Upgrading to Windows 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading to Windows 7

I'm considering my options to upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7. I would like to go for the 64 bit version but I'm a little concerned that I don't know if Lightroom and CS4 will have any issues running on a 64 bit OS.

Does anyone have any experience of CS4 or LR2 on a 64 bit OS?

Thanks

Re: Upgrading to Windows 7

There will be no problem with either. You are going to have to re-install anyway if you are going from 32 bit to 64 bit operating system and both LR and CS4 have 64 bit versions of the program on the CD / DVD. It auto detects so you won't need to choose between them.
    Regards ,
    Norman

Comment

Norman is correct. When you install Lr & Ps it will automatically install the 64bit version and will take advantage of the RAM you use in your system above the 3Gb limit imposed in Windows 32bit.
      5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

I was under the impression that there is no upgrade path from Windows XP to Windows 7 and in order to upgrade one had to first have a copy of Windows Vista?

If I'm wrong I'd be interested in how one goes about upgrading other than having to buy the full version of Windows 7 and needing a complete format of the hard disk followed by a complete new install.
        John

Comment

There is an upgrade for XP. Amazon can oblige. I would always advise a fresh install rather than an in-place upgrade and that method would be necessary if going from 32 bit to 64 bit anyway.
          Regards ,
          Norman

Comment

Originally posted by johnatj View Post
            I was under the impression that there is no upgrade path from Windows XP to Windows 7 and in order to upgrade one had to first have a copy of Windows Vista?

If I'm wrong I'd be interested in how one goes about upgrading other than having to buy the full version of Windows 7 and needing a complete format of the hard disk followed by a complete new install.
            John
            You can indeed legally buy the upgrade version if you have a purchased copy of XP however you actually do require to do a a clean install as there is no software upgrade path from XP to W7 and not likely to be. A clean install is very easy and I installed W7 64 (I upgraded from XP)

To be honest you should do a clean install anyway every so often - keeps the PC running fast :)

Hard drives are so cheap these days, why not buy a hard drive and install it on the new one? I have XP on one drive and W7 on another.
            5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

Thanks EOS Jim and Norman
              John

Comment

I operate windows 7 and have CS4 and LR and they use the 64 bit, only probles I have.. CS4 64 bit won't run Nik software... and LR closes down on you after about 45 minutes use and you have to open it again.. asked adobe but never get any where with them.. this also happens in Vista... other than that its all good :-)
                Dawn

Comment

LR works perfectly for me under Win7 64-bit

Comment

Be careful moving up from Vista to certain computers. I have a Sony VGC LA2 which has a really superb 19" WSXGA 1680x1050 screen for editing in Capture One 5 and CS3. I tried an upgrade path to Windows 7. Couldn't get it to work. So I then did a Clean Install. The problem is that the new install did not recognise the Nvidia Go7400 Graphics adapter. the best screen resolution it would allow was 1280px. I managed to get the computer to go to 1440px. No good for photography as everything is distorted. So I decided to use the Recovery Partition and reinstall Vista by returning the computer to its original delivered state - then did an upgrade. Everything works perfectly EXCEPT I now suffer from the Windows BLACK screen of death everytime I switch on. Thanks to trawling for a long time through the internet I found a patch that was supposed to cure the problem. It did'nt. Another forum had a workaround. Let it run to the BSOD, put the computer to sleep, then wake it up. Problem solved. This is a pain in the **** and I still search for a proper solution. Microsoft, Nvidia and Sony dont seem to want to know.
                    Just be careful.

Comment

Did you install the drivers?

Nvidia Go - 32 bit
                      ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by michaelh View Post
                        Be careful moving up from Vista to certain computers. I have a Sony VGC LA2 which has a really superb 19" WSXGA 1680x1050 screen for editing in Capture One 5 and CS3. I tried an upgrade path to Windows 7. Couldn't get it to work. So I then did a Clean Install. The problem is that the new install did not recognise the Nvidia Go7400 Graphics adapter. the best screen resolution it would allow was 1280px. I managed to get the computer to go to 1440px. No good for photography as everything is distorted. So I decided to use the Recovery Partition and reinstall Vista by returning the computer to its original delivered state - then did an upgrade. Everything works perfectly EXCEPT I now suffer from the Windows BLACK screen of death everytime I switch on. Thanks to trawling for a long time through the internet I found a patch that was supposed to cure the problem. It did'nt. Another forum had a workaround. Let it run to the BSOD, put the computer to sleep, then wake it up. Problem solved. This is a pain in the **** and I still search for a proper solution. Microsoft, Nvidia and Sony dont seem to want to know.
                        Just be careful.
                        First thing to do is install your latst graphics drivers. I usually use www.guru3d.com

Comment

Naturally I checked the drivers. Nvidia has a graphics checker on its website which shows that the latest driver has been installed. The problem may lie in the BIOS, but it is really Microsoft which has to come up with a solution.

Comment

Originally posted by michaelh View Post
                            The problem may lie in the BIOS, but it is really Microsoft which has to come up with a solution.
                            Whilst you might think it is down to Microsoft it is actually down to the hardware vendors - in this case Sony.
                            ef-r

Comment

If you download the Windows 7 upgrade advisor, it will scan your machine and advise of any potential issues. Available from the link below.

Comment

Working...
                              X