Editing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Editing

Iv not edited any of my photos yet, I'm thinking of upgrading my lap top so ....
    What's better mac or windows?
    And what software?

Thank u rob :)

Re: Editing

I will let others debate the PC / Apple preferences, IMHO that comes down to cost and personal preference.

as for software if you have never done any editing of your images you could start by using the free SW that you get with the Canon cameras (DPP) it is pretty good for adjustments and cropping and has the native raw converter. If you want to get some other SW I personally would suggest that you look at Lightroom and Elements. Lightroom is very good for cataloging and managing your images and has some very easy but powerful editing tools if you then compliment this with the power of Elements you have just about all you will need for cloning, merging, panoramas etc.

Comment

That could be a right can of worms Rob, there'll no doubt be good and bad with each. I've not used a Mac but have used PCs running Linux and Windows, I'm a Windows fan myself, but Ubuntu (a version of Linux) is proving to be more and more popular .... and it's free!

I use Windows 8 myself and software that I use is:-

• Adobe Photoshop (I have a older version)
      • Machinery Effects 2 (HDR Software)
      • Canon EOS utility which came with the camera

There's also some free software for Windows available too:-

Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
      http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
      https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

It rather depends what else you intend to do with your laptop ... for example I do a lot with OS maps and so I'm restricted to Windows with the two commercial packages I use. I also do dark room activities ... so Canon's free stuff is useful, as is Microsoft ICE for stitching (free!) and the inevitable products from Adobe. Budget will determine which way to go.

Comment

I have to say since i have moved to Mac (Macbook pro) i never went back to windows, very rarely that i have to use windows i have the option of using them within Mac. I use Ps and Lightroom. As other pointed out its all down to your budget and what you feel comfortable using it.
          Raj
          Raj
          Flickr

Comment

I use
            DPP - free Canon software.
            Infraview - free download - if you get all the plugins it copes very nicely with raw files.
            and Gnu image processing - also free download - you download separate scripts which do things automatically - takes a while to get used to.

Also use Microsoft Ice it does great panorama's
            Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
            Di's Flickr

Comment

Well iv fallen in love with the MacBook Pro retina display and it will be just for editing photos (well and surfing the net ect) I don't need it for work or anything as I'm a carpenter
              I will try out the free software tbh I didn't know there was any I was looking at photoshop there is just so many I got confused

Comment

Originally posted by Woking rob View Post
                Well iv fallen in love with the MacBook Pro retina display and it will be just for editing photos (well and surfing the net ect) I don't need it for work or anything as I'm a carpenter
                I will try out the free software tbh I didn't know there was any I was looking at photoshop there is just so many I got confused
                You won't be disappointed, try and download the trail from adobe and see which one you like it.
                Raj
                Flickr

Comment

iv got my macbook pro today :) havent done much with it yet, tomorrow im gonna put on the canon software and have a look

Comment

Working...
                  X