Which iMac?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which iMac?

Just wondered whether anyone on the forum is using one of the new iMacs and had any experience of running Lightroom?

i5 or i7?
    8 or 16gb RAM?
    Standard Drive or Fusion Drive?

Ian

Re: Which iMac?

Have a 2009 iMac and run lightroom 4 not a problem so the new ones will fly.
    Previously "The Real Swoosh"

My Blog..HERE....My website.....SECONDINTIME.....Flickr HERE..... 500px HERE

EOS 60D, EF- 70-200 L (non is), EF-24-105 L, EF-17-40 L , EF 100mm Macro, , EF 50mm II, 580 EX II, Canon S90. Kids Kit. EOS 500D, EF-S 18-55mm, EF-S 55-250mm IS Manfrotto 3405B Tripod. Hama Compact pro Tripod. Giottos MTL 9351B Tripod, Giottos MH 1300 Head, Manfrotto 790B Monopod. Billingham Hadley Pro. Lowepro 202AW Slingshot Bag.

Comment

Originally posted by iwaddo View Post
      Just wondered whether anyone on the forum is using one of the new iMacs and had any experience of running Lightroom?

i5 or i7?
      8 or 16gb RAM?
      Standard Drive or Fusion Drive?

Ian
      I have a new one with 16 GB of RAM & the Standard Drive and LR works great with it.

Tom

Comment

I have the i5 and 8gb and it works brilliantly with LR 4.

David
        PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Canon 7D II, Sigma 150-600mm Sport, Sigma 18-300mm, Sigma 8-16mm, National Geographic Expedition Carbon, Lensmaster RH1 Gimbal.

"It is better to light a single candle than curse the darkness" - Confucius (551–479 BC)

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
          I have a new one with 16 GB of RAM & the Standard Drive and LR works great with it.

Tom
          Hi, can I ask whether you have the i5 or i7 CPU, thanks? Ian

Comment

Here is the configuration

2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
            16GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM-2X8GB
            1TB 5400-rpm Serial ATA Drive
            NVIDIAGeFrc GT 640M 512M GDDR5
            MAGIC TRACKPAD
            Apple WL Kybd (English)+UG
            COUNTRY KIT

Tom

Comment

Great, thanks, that helps me a lot; I'm in danger of buying a very nice iMac that might be more than I need.

Would love to be able to try one one with LR, I've tried the local dealer but they do not have any additional software installed might have to try he Apple store next.

Comment

Check out MacRumours, I believe the iMac is overdue for a refresh, so it may not be the ideal time to buy!

For info, I have an 2.3 GHz i7 MacMini and Lightroom's a joy to use (after using it on a lethargic 1.66 GHz duel-core PC), and whilst I think an i5's probably sufficient I'd go for the i7 for future-proofing.
                Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Must just be me, but I wouldn't dream of getting a Mac, when a same disc PC can be a quarter of the price. I do video editing for a living.

I have an overclocked i5k, 16gb RAM, a GT6990 grx card, an SSD boot drive (which is stupid fast), plus extra internal HDD's and twin 22 inch HD monitors. I got it all for about £700. I saw the same spec Mac in an Apple shop for £2500!

I know people say about viruses, but with free software you're fully protected. Plus, I can game on my machine.

Just my two cents.

Comment

They just refreshed the iMacs. The released them in December of 2012

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
                      They just refreshed the iMacs. The released them in December of 2012

Tom
                      I stand corrected! Thanks for clarifying that Tom.
                      Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

I have had an 27" imac for a year - don't use Lightroom but it is fine for Photoshop and Bridge.
                        My main gripe is that if I have the screen at full resolution the font is too small in Photoshop so I have to use it at a lower screen resolution to work comfortably. So the high screen res. is completely wasted on me!!

Processor 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5
                        Memory 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
                        Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB

Comment

So I've ordered an iMac, question is now whether its Aperture or Lightroom?

Comment

Lightroom, also if you have any doubts there are more people to help you with than Aperture.
                            Raj
                            Raj
                            Flickr

Comment

Working...
                            X