Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop is Dying / Windows 8

Hi All,

I think my Laptop is on it's last legs, it is constantly just switching itself off for no apparent reason, seems to be getting hot, so it's probably a safety feature.

Anyway, the reason for the Thread is Windows 8, I only seem to hear bad things about it, difficult to use etc.

Can anyone who has it, or knows anything about it, offer any comments?

Regards Paul

Re: Laptop is Dying / Windows 8

Hi Paul
    I did have Windows 8, tried it for a few days and then re-installed Windows 7.
    Win8 is a new operating system, there is no start button everything is on the desktop.
    I am one who had win95, win98, win millennium, win xp, win7 and progress from one to the other was quite simple.
    Windows 8 looks different and that scared me.

Then someone asked me to set up their new laptop, and it was Windows 8.
    So I did and doing so taught me more about Windows 8, it was not actually that different from Windows 7 except it was layed out differently.
    Once I familiarised myself with the new layout it was not that difficult, although I still did not like it.
    There was no need for a drivers disc as it was all there in the O/S.
    I did download a start button so that it did not look too alien from the previous Windows 7. The gentleman I was helping was in his late 60's and not great with technology.

As with all new versions of Windows, the O/S required more disc space and more memory.
    It looks different to start with but is not really that different, it just looks different and everything is there but in a different place.
    I have a start button which can be installed to make the progress easier and more familiar.

You can always replace Windows 8 with Windows 7 if you prefer, as long as you have a valid serial number.
    I have stand-alone genuine discs for Windows 7 and Windows 8 (32bit & 64 bit).
    Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
    Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by pelliott1954 View Post
      Hi All,

I think my Laptop is on it's last legs, it is constantly just switching itself off for no apparent reason, seems to be getting hot, so it's probably a safety feature.

Anyway, the reason for the Thread is Windows 8, I only seem to hear bad things about it, difficult to use etc.

Can anyone who has it, or knows anything about it, offer any comments?

Regards Paul
      Paul, it may be worth checking the processor temperature, I used to use a utility called SpeedFan but I know there are many others available which monitor and graph your processor temperature. If it's rising to 80 C or so then you've definitely identified the problem. Have you tried hoovering-out the ventilation intake and discharge? Over time these can become obstructed by fluff and debris. Alternatively the high temperatures may be a result of either a faulty fan or the thermal-interface material drying out between the processor and the cooler, either way it may be an expensive job to get fixed if out of warranty.

As for Win8, I dislike it, I think it's become a compromise so that it works on all platforms from 'phones to desktops and as a result it's become difficult to use on any particular system. However, any "new" software has a learning curve, and perhaps for those who are willing to stay the course the rewards are worthwhile. At some point we're all going to have to bite the upgrade bullet, whether that be to Win8 or whatever, it just seems that Microsoft have released something os a lemon with this update and I'm going to give it a miss.

On the other hand, Win7 which I use on three laptops works well for me, having the familiarity of the older versions of Windows, and without the irritations/problems associated with Vista.

Given the choice I'd go with Win7 if you can, a lot of vendors seem to be offering Win7 machines with a free Win8 upgrade if you want it.
      Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

I hated Windows 8 so much I started again with Windows 7. Windows 8 is so different.
        ef-r

Comment

I think W8 would be OK if you had a touch screen on the laptop. It is really tedious to use with a mouse. I have it on a (non-touch screen) laptop for testing. But all my real work is done on W7.
          Russell
          Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

I too have been having gremlins on my pc of late and a few of my friends have.
            It seems a coincidence that this happens with the new release of a version of windows.
            Are we being forced into the new version?
            I'm seriously considering my upgrade to be a mac.
            Cannot comment on windows 8.
            Chris
            Practice makes perfect

Canon EOS 7D,1100D, EF 400mm f5.6L USM, EF 24-105 1:4 L IS USM, 18-55 Kit lens,EF 50mm 1.8, EF 100mm f2 USM, Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2

Comment

I've now been using Windows 8 for a few months and I'm happy with it, the start menu has been replaced with a start screen as mentioned above and you can also install and run 'mini apps' from that screen. There are a lot of people that don't like W8, usually because of the start screen. Rumour has it that Microsoft are busy working on their next OS, I think it's codenamed 'Blue' or something like that.
              Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
              http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
              https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

I have been using windows 8 since release with no problems at all.

If you want the look and feel of windows 7 then I believe that Stardock do an app for windows 8 that replaces the start screen and has the look and feel of windows 7

Last edited by 2Beers; 31-03-2013, 15:55. Reason: add link
                Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

Try running your laptop plugged into mains with battery removed...
                  Canon Eos 70D, Tamron 28-300mm XR Di VC, Yongnuo YN565EX + YN568EX, Panasonic FZ200

Comment

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies.

So far I have had the Vacuum cleaner round all the vents, and although there wasn't any visible debris or fluff to speak of, touch wood, it hasn't switched off since.

In regards to Windows 8, I think I will be giving it a Miss.

Thanks again, Paul

Comment

I currently use 2 PC's side by side, one W7 and one W8.

Initially found W8 a struggle due to different layout etc. Now having used for a short while finding it a bit more intuitive.

Might not be to everyone's taste but I'm quite happy with it now.
                      Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Can I suggest when using your lap top use a piece of wood to lift it at the back so that air gets a good circulation. I do this.
                        Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                        Di's Flickr

Comment

If overheating is a problem ... you can get these cooling pads ... such as Belkin Laptop Cooling Pad. Quite effective ... but the fan can get noisy.

I think many variants of Windows have attracted a bad press (Vista, ME, ...) ... probably the reason my company laptop runs XP ... first thing I had to do when I got a new laptop was to replace 7 with XP. It was much the same when DOS (or CP/M) was replaced with OS/2 or Windows ... how many recall using OS/2. But anyone familiar with iOS or Hemorrhoid shouldn't baulk at Win8.

Comment

Thanks Ant, Di and X for having a look and commenting, good news is, it has stayed on since the Vacuum was out, Bad News is, SWMBO now knows that I can operate the Vacuum!!!

Regards Paul

Comment

Originally posted by pelliott1954 View Post
                              good news is, it has stayed on since the Vacuum was out, Bad News is, SWMBO now knows that I can operate the Vacuum!!!
                              LOL
                              Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                              Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X