Got myself a new computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got myself a new computer

Windows and Android has been my go to for everything for the last 5-10 years. Today I took delivery of a shiny brand new Apple iMac 27"

Core i5 clocked to 3.4Ghz
    8Gb DDR3 RAM (I'll be expanding this to 32Gb)
    No Fusion Drive, just the standard 1TB 7200rpm
    GeForce 755M graphics chip
    Oh and that beautiful display.

I was utterly blown away when I started using it. Downloaded LR5 straight away and loaded up my pics. Editing is such a lovely calm procedure now and not a stress. I can't believe I didn't do this sooner.

One thing I've noticed is...

There is a drastic difference between the detail and sharpness of the 70-200 over any other lens I have. I simply cannot get over how clear and crisp that lens is. Goes to show my old monitor just couldn't resolve the detail.

Another thing I've noticed is how under exposed I am on my pics. So I think a new computer will hopefully lend a we change to things.

Forget camera bodies. Get new lenses and new computers :)

Not sure whether to upgrade to Mavericks yet though.

Paul
    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
    www.campsie.photography

Re: Got myself a new computer

I am sure you'll enjoy it, my 2009 iMac 27" still runs as quick as the day I got it.
    Would definitely recommend the ram upgrade.
    just upgraded to Mavericks today, went very smoothly.
    Andy

Comment

Sweet to know :) I do wish I got the fusion drive, 430mbps vs 184mbps could have made it future proof for the next 7 years for me. Oh well lol
      Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
      www.campsie.photography

Comment

Living the dream Paul an imac is one of the things on my wish list
        1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
        Facebook
        www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

How weird is that... I just upgraded my 27" iMac to Mavericks, and this was the first thread I looked at!

As Cyberman said... smooth as anything, although at 5.3GB download, I haven't done much else tonight! lol

Enjoy... and as, like me, you were a Windows boy, there IS a delete key! fn + backspace, oh, and it's cmd C to copy, cmd V to paste. Keyboard took a few days to get used to, but I love it now, and it's so much more fun than my Win 7 PC. I'm a convert!

Mike
          flickr
          5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Ten years ago, I bought an iMac mainly due to sheer frustration with Windows and video editing. I paid less for the brand new iMac than I did to get the Windows machine up to a spec where it worked (for at least a few hours at a time).

I'm still using that Mac for video editing as well as photo editing - the only things I did was to put in a larger 7200rpm HDD and max out the RAM.

I am only now contemplating an upgrade - not sure whether to go for another iMac or get a top spec Mac mini … or just keep the iMac for a while longer …
            Canon EOS 6D Mk II, 700D, Canon 24-105mm L, 100-400mm, 100mm f2.8 L Macro.

Comment

Congrats on the computer upgrade Paul

Remember to go through the Apple Display Calibrator Assistant to ensure your screen is "correct". It's not as accurate as using a propriety calibrator widget, but it's better than Windows calibration tool.
              Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

OH I'll certainly be doing that Steve.

The new macs are expensive no doubt. If I was to go back, I'd front the rest for a fusion Drive. 484Mbps read and write compared to the 184Mbps on the 7200rpm HDD. Normal working provided you're not moving files over 128Gb are just drastically improved. I've heard you can make your own drive from an external variant but I'm still a minnow in the apple stakes so I'm taking my time.
                Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                www.campsie.photography

Comment

Paul,

The fusion drive is apparently a corker, but a third-party SSD is much cheaper and equally effective. Using drive-doublers you can configure your HDD/SSD as a fusion equivalent (where the OS manages files across what appears to be a single volume for optimal performance), or as two separate user-managed drives (OS/Apps on the SSD and data on the HDD) which has the added benefit of being safer in terms of data integrity as fusion drives are in effect a RAID array, and should you loose either the SSD or HDD, both will be useless. Additionally, fusion drives routinely transfer data between the SSD/HDD which can sap performance, whereas when configured as two separate drives you can utilise the full data-rate of the SSD (which is at least 10x that of your typical HDD). Unfortunately I don't think you can add a SSD internally to an iMac as you can with a MacMini/Laptop, but externally is certainly possible. Something to think about in the future perhaps?

Interesting what you said about the 70-200 sharpness on the new monitor! Yet another factor in the lens IQ debate

Regarding your brightness comment, Mac's use a different gamma correction to PC's (1.8 vs. 2.2) which can result in images appearing brighter on the Mac. I must say that I've not noticed any brightness issues with your images Paul, whether I view them on PC, Mac, or iPhone/iPad.
                  Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

There's some guy that did a teardown video of the new mac. Inserted an SSD and 2TB drive. The SSD sat in behind the graphics card and he modded some bracket to make it fit. (Crazy). I liked the fact that you can boot OS from an external drive. It's all very fresh and interesting to me lol
                    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                    www.campsie.photography

Comment

Congrats on the new computer! You'll never make any computer future proof but you will find that macs hold their value so you can sell it on when you want to upgrade. I bought a late 2009 iMac for around £1200 and sold earlier this year for £700. So it cost me £500 to use it for almost 4 years and it was a beauty. Sadly I had to sell it and get a MacBook Pro because I got kicked out of my 'office' to make it into the baby's room! The MacBook is a great machine and better spec than my iMac but I do miss the screen size for editing photos.

Interesting to hear your comments on the lens too. I'm hoping to invest in some good glass in the near future and that lens is top of my list.
                      Canon 5DMKII | Canon 550D | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 35 f/2 IS USM | EF 85 f/1.8 USM | Speedlite 430EX II | 2x Yongnuo YN-622C | MacBook Pro 2.7GHz i7 | Lightroom 5 | Hama Traveller Mini Pro Tripod | Lowepro Stealth Reporter D400W | Flickr | 500px | Website

Comment

You know in LR when you click to zoom 3:1? well when I do that on any picture I used the 70-200 on I sit back and just go WOW. I could crop that and use it. Whenever I do it with my Tokina or 17-85 I just sit and go, nah and move on to the next image.

Never have I experienced such a void of quality and detail in lenses. The retina display probably makes this ten times worse for me.

I want nothing more now than to fill my bag with L glass, and a FF body. I needed a better computer to edit on. It's now shifted to needing to bring everything up to the quality of this 70-200.

Granted wide angle edge softness, and a massive price gap are to blame but if anyone is seriously thinking about getting L glass, be prepared to want to swap everything you have too lol
                        Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                        www.campsie.photography

Comment

About 6 years ago my PC was playing up so I caved and bought a Mac Mini. Haven't looked back since.

I've subsequently put a bigger HDD in and more RAM - just brilliant.

Since then, I've "inherited" my daughter's 4-year-old MacBook when she upgraded to a MBP for her 3rd year at Uni. Before she gave it to me, she took it to the Apple Store in Cardiff to get the base fixed (it's the rubberised one and had warped where she left it on her bed powered on and had essentially overheated). Not only did they replace the base, they also spotted a crack in the lid (we hadn't spotted it) which was a common issue apparently, so they replaced that (including the screen) as well - all free of charge.

So, yes, Macs are expensive to buy - especially when compared to similarly spec's PCs - but boy do you get great customer service. And, in my experience, they just work - no tinkering, unless you really want to.

Enjoy your new toy, Paul - I covet the screen :)

Comment

you will totally love it ,keep up to date with the software updates ,(click on the apple logo) haven't used a p.c for about 10 years now and only on my second i-mac in that time . for processing i have ,apeture3 ,elements 10 ,elements 11 and ps6 all loaded but tend to prefer the simplicity of the first two ,i find imageonic noise ware a extremely good noise plug in to

Comment

Congratulations from moving over from the Dark side Paul. I made the move 15 years ago after realising I was spending a fortune just keeping the PC virus clean and up to date. I have never looked back since. My current machine is a iMac 27" 3.4 i7 and I just love it to bits. I also use a 15" MBP for lectures and when on the move.

What I would say to any members that are thinking of moving over to Apple is take a look in the refurbished section and see what is there first. All the items carry the same warranty, plus you have the added benefit of knowing the equipment has been thoroughly checked over. All of my Apple machines have been purchased this way and you can save as much as 35% in some cases.

Ian
                              Ian

Comment

Working...
                              X