Not sure what to get
    Mac mini with i7 processor with my Eizo screen
    iMac 21. With i5
    Or a PC with a i7

Any comments
    welcome.

Ivan

Re: What computer

Have to say I love my i7 Mac Mini and still revel in the Mac experience after running PC's for 30 years :)

The mini seems to be the bargain Mac (if there is such a thing!) and coupled with a decent 1920 screen it's fast and sexy, and tomorrow (Black Friday) there should be some good deals around :)

But - mobile i7's aren't as fast as pukka desktop i7's even at the same headline speeds so ultimately a desktop PC should be faster, but as OS-X and Mac software seems to get the best out of the hardware the difference may be indiscernible.
    Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

This WAS me some months ago. I must say here, I'm an IT contractor, and have been for nearly 20 years!

After years on a PC, I went for a 27 inch iMac. I now use LR5, and my older PSE9, and LOVE IT!

I should have 'gone all Apple' years ago. As Steve says, tomorrow (Friday 29) is Apple's Black Friday day, where special deals can be had! Go on, you know you want to...

Mike
      flickr
      5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Thanks Mike and Steve

I have always had a Mac since the Mid 80 so it looks like i will carry on and get a mac I7

Just subscribed to Photoshop cc and lightroom so Mac Mini should fly
        Dont know about buying today tho but will check out the price

Thanks again
        Ivan

Comment

It can be handy getting a Nvidia GPU with CUDA support as many photographic applications will use that to accelerate the processing. I don't know about Macs BTW plus it sounds like you're sorted so I'll leave it at that.

Comment

Having looked into the Mac Mini , it appears the graphics card is not supported by CS6 CC I would need to get a 21" Imac with a Nvidia Card

Looks like a PC Might be the cost effective option as i allready have a good Eizo monitor

Comment

PC or MAC that's powerful enough is the done deal, however, what would advise is the best screen you can buy, and a calibration system for it. RAW power in a PC is one thing but if your colours are not well represented then it's all for nothing.

:)
              Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
              www.campsie.photography

Comment

Originally posted by Ivanp View Post
                Having looked into the Mac Mini , it appears the graphics card is not supported by CS6 CC I would need to get a 21" Imac with a Nvidia Card

Looks like a PC Might be the cost effective option as i allready have a good Eizo monitor
                I'm not sure what incompatibility there is with a Mac Mini, I find that CC recognises the Mini's OpenGL capability and uses the graphics engine appropriately (enabling the extra features).
                Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Just in case it's of interest, apparently Apple are currently offering a 0% finance deal over 10 months.
                  Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
                  http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
                  https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

I have just bought a 27" iMac! It is my second iMac, my old one is 6 years old and still works! I would not go back to a PC ever.

Comment

As a long time PC user, what is it that makes Mac's so good?
                      Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
                      http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
                      https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

From my point of view it's that I don't know anything about them, so anyone buying one won't be hassling me for advice on solving problems!

Comment

I use a 27" iMac and am very pleased with it, it's just approaching 4 years old but still works as well as the day I got it.
                          If you can stretch to the 27" screen I'd recommend it as it makes viewing images a dream.
                          Andy
                          Canon EOS 5D MarkIV, 11-24mm f4, 24-70mm f2.8 II, 24-105mm f4, 70-200mm f2.8 IS II USM, 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 IS II USM, 100mm Macro, 50mm f1.4, Speedlite 600EX-RT, Manfrotto tripod
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyberdavis/

Comment

Originally posted by AndyA View Post
                            As a long time PC user, what is it that makes Mac's so good?
                            A lot of its probably personal preference and the arguments can be adjusted to suit either side.
                            I went from building my own PC's to a Mac when I got fed up building my own, I had built the last 4 PC's I'd owned.
                            The difference for me was that the Mac just works, upgrades to the operating system have been easy and inexpensive. Having not had a blue screen of death on my Mac has been enjoyable.
                            I also found that tasks that my PC at the time were struggling with were easy on the Mac, a key one being video editing.
                            Yes, the Mac was a expensive outlay, but a lot of useful software was included reducing extra outlay.
                            I also enjoy just how easy it is to keep data synced between iMac, iPad and iPhone. Getting content form device to device is nice and easy.

But as I say its personal, and I am sure plenty of people here could give counter arguments that would be equally valid.
                            Also my enjoyment of the Mac could partly be due to using PC's at work a lot and feeling jaded from my experiences getting stuff working.
                            Andy
                            Canon EOS 5D MarkIV, 11-24mm f4, 24-70mm f2.8 II, 24-105mm f4, 70-200mm f2.8 IS II USM, 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 IS II USM, 100mm Macro, 50mm f1.4, Speedlite 600EX-RT, Manfrotto tripod
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyberdavis/

Comment

I think that Cyberman has summed it up concisely, Mac's just work! I'm forever amazed at how easy it is to do whatever you want to with a Mac, whether it's configuring a wireless printer, streaming music, backing-up, or whatever else takes your fancy. The standardised hardware and software means that things are pre-proven to work, on PC's the almost infinite permutations of hardware and software are a potential compatibility nightmare.

Like Cyberman I've built many PC's, and even went through a phase of modding and fettling them to yield every last ounce of performance from them. Nowadays my needs are necessarily simpler, I just want the blooming' thing to do what I want and when I want it to, and that's the Mac ethos.

I still like to dabble now and then, and have upgraded my Mini to 16Gb RAM and this weekend installed a SSD drive to hustle the already nippy booting process along, but even that process was simplified by Apple's ability to connect to the 'net and download the latest install of OS-X without any complex install-disks or driver downloads, another demonstration of the joined-up thinking which makes the Apple experience a joy.

Comment

Working...
                              X