What computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What computer

Unfortunately, while the Mac is undoubtedly the choice for graphics and photographic work, an industry in which has been dominant for many years, for astro-photography applications (telescope and camera control etc), it just isn't as well supported as the PC.

So, as I want the best of both worlds, I have to stick with the PC.

That said, my i7 based PC is no slouch, when it comes to handling AVCHD video.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave_S; 03-12-2013, 19:32. Reason: Typo
    Dave

Comment

You're right there Dave, I've tried using RegiStax and DeepSkyStacker on the Mac using Wineskin, but what was a slow task on my PC Laptop is painfully lethargic on the Mac, making both impossible to use
      Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

I use mac's exclusively now, but it took me a while to become a convert, the problem was I had my main machine dual boot (win7/OSx), and kept booting into windows, because it was where I was comfortable, it was only after removing the win7 partition, forcing me to boot into Mac OS, that I began to enjoy the experience, and I don't think I could go back to windows now, the UI is a lot more satisfying, backups (via time machine) a lot simpler , my diary , to do list and reminders synch seamlessly and easily with iPad/iPhone & Macbook, all achieved without the kerfuffle you have with syncing in windows.

I've kept an ancient desktop with Win7 on, just in case, but have found I never need it, but then I'm not into the esoteric endeavours mentioned previously.

When I had my desktop dual booting, I found the performance about on par between win7/OSx, somethings ran faster others slower, but evened out.
        Couple of minor niggles, not being able to right click cut & paste & the delete key not being able to delete somethings.

But only minor niggles, yes, I do like the Mac OS.
        Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
        Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Thanks for all your replies

I went for a I7 Pc with 16G Ram and 1.5 Vram in the graphics card running windows 8
          Photoshop and lightroom open and run very fast .

I would have normally bought another mac but reading problems with the new photoshop CC and a Mac mini graphics card not been fully compatable lead me towards a PC where i could easily change the graphics card if required at a later date

Time will tell if i have dropped a clanger

Ivan

Comment

I've been reading up on the OpenGL/OpenCL compatibility with the Mac Mini (and other non-OpenCL graphics processors) and it seems that the "compatibility" shortcoming only affects the Blur tools, where an OpenCL card is present the graphics processor takes over some of the non-image processing tasks.

An i7 PC with lots of RAM and a decent videocard should see you flying through your photo-processing though, probably faster than the Mac would have too

If you have £100 left to invest I suggest getting a SSD. I fitted one in my Mini at the weekend and the difference is staggering, with start-up times for Lightroom and CC around five times faster than they used to be and fast access to the catalogue, previews, and scratchpad making the programs use far more seamless with less waiting around for disk access
            Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Thanks Steve
              will look in to that if i have any cash left after xmas

Ivan

Comment

Working...
              X