Duplicate photos and Cached images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duplicate photos and Cached images

I hope the IT expert members will be able to englighten me. You will remember the problem I had with duplicate photos and cached images, which still take up a lot of my disc space. All I would like to know is how I received my hard disc back from the local IT chap with numerous duplicates of my photos- over 147,000 and duplicates of my documents and e-mails- still not fully removed, plus of course all the cached images from David Cameron, Ed Milliband to cartoons. it looks like that the IT chap has brought back my hard disc with these duplicates which to my lay mind looks like another sort of "virus"?

I look forward to your views on this, as I am still struggling to remove these duplicates.

Thank you very much.

Nathaniel
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Duplicate photos and Cached images

I'm no IT expert but can you eloborate and what you mean by 'duplicates'.

Do you mean the same original image file is in several directories with the same name? [C:\NAT1\IMG_0967.CRW and C:\NAT2\IMG_0967.CRW]
    Do you mean the same original image file is in the same directory but with different names? [C:\NAT1\IMG_0967.CRW and C:\NAT1\Copy_IMG_0967.CRW]
    Or something different??

That would help in constructing a foresenic theory of what lead to this happening.

Comment

Thank you for your trouble George. To clarify, I find the same image duplicated several times in the SAME FILE. For instance, the save pictures had been put into a file named- Documents and then click pictures and up come a load of my pictures every one duplicated some 15-20 times. For example I have a photo of my grand child which is duplicated 15-20 times; then I see the next picture say of a landscape which is also duplicated in the same manner.

Then the IT chap has opened another folder under the same UMBRELLA heading of "documents" and then when I click on documents I get several duplicated documents, some of which I cannot open as the fellow has replaced my original WORD software with Microsoft works.

The IT chap has also opened another file for e-mails and this suffers the same fate- duplication.

I really don't know what this chap has done in his restoration work which has actually given me more trouble.

I can very easily take the chap to the county court but I personally don't wish to damage or destroy a young chap's business particularly he is about my son's age, has a young family,mortgage and quite a pleasant chap who also classical music- my type of music. Personally I think the chap knows far more about IT and computers than what I know (I am only an end user- thats all. In my working life all computer problems were handed over to IT chaps working for the dept!!! Easy life for me!

I hope these details are a way forward for any possible diagnosis.

Many thanks
      Nat
      Last edited by Nathaniel; 11-12-2013, 10:41.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Since my above post, I have received a PM to suggest that the duplicates maybe the result of the backing up 3 to 4 times either in a panic or by mistake. This could logically explain the duplicates for example ;- black swan (main), copy black swan, copy black swan, copy black swan ...... ad infinitum!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X